Golden Laced Wyandotte Male or Female - Please help us

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Pene and Frida, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Pene and Frida

Pene and Frida Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    When we went to collect this chicken we thought we would get a pullet or fully grown chicken.

We have had to isolate this chicken from our other blue orpington, as we found out after watching it being attacked.

We are new to this chicken world although we love and treat our 2 chickens well. Finding out most information online.

1.Is our new family member 'Frida': Male or Female

2.We were told 7 weeks old?

Pene (our blue orpington) and Frida (our golden laced wyandotte) can see each other through the chicken wire and Frida seems to like Pene although Pene is very aggressive.

3.When do you think we could introduce them to the same area?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Seven weeks old? I am guessing boy [​IMG].

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Looks like a roo. It also looks like maybe a Wyandotte cross. There is something off with the way the bird stands that is very different than my GL Wyandottes.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I'm gonna say boy as well. My GLW and SLW didn't have that much red in their combs until they were at least a month older. Looks like the start of some saddle feathers too. Have to agree that it seems like a cross. Mine don't carry their tails at that angle at all.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    rooster boy!

6. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    x4
    And he sure is pretty. I want to get some of those gold ones, I have two silver hens.

7. Pene and Frida

Pene and Frida Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Thanks for all the comments. [​IMG]

When we first decided to get chickens we actually bid on two pure breed golden laced wyandottes, which turned out to be both roosters when we arrived to pick them up.

We did end up taking one chicken home Pene (blue orpington)

In my hope to get a pure breed wyandotte we contacted a local chicken farmer and after much confusion got this chicken, who I am sadly in love with.

I don't know what to do. [​IMG] we can't keep it if it is a boy.

8. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    I have to agree that right now it looks like a boy, but definately looks like a cross too so if you give it a few more weeks you MAY be surprised. I've had a few at that age that I thought (and many others) were boys, but turned out to lay eggs [​IMG] Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by