Golden Laced Wyandotte POL soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by reddpepper86, Jan 7, 2018.

1. reddpepper86

reddpepper86 Chirping

Mar 18, 2016
    Oregon Coast
    So my GLW has started getting a really red comb and wattles the past couple weeks. It feels like every day she is getting a little more red and the comb/wattles are growing. She is about 19 weeks and I was curious if she could be getting ready to lay soon? I checked her pelvic bones and while they are a little wider it's not a good two finger width apart yet. She is also not squatting yet either. Any thoughts? Do GLW even start laying this young?? IMG_20180107_155725016.jpg

Katie’s Coop likes this.
  2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    She'll lay when she lays. :)
    Days are getting longer, but often fall hatched chicks wait till spring.
    BTW I had a SL wyandotte, and she never squatted but she did lay anyway, around 6 months, she was a spring chick.
    Good luck! Pretty pullet, she is.....

WhatAboutBob? and reddpepper86 like this.
  3. reddpepper86

reddpepper86 Chirping

Mar 18, 2016
    Oregon Coast
    Thanks, I was wondering if that was going to be more likely. I've heard that usually it starts happening after February for Autumn chicks. We'll see!

4. WhatAboutBob?

WhatAboutBob? Songster

Sep 21, 2017
    Boyne City, Michigan
    My Coop
    I love my GLWs! I have 5 pullets that were hatched on the last week of July. And 1 pullet hatched 2 weeks later. 3 have started laying yesterday with the 1st egg on the 4th. She might be a couple of weeks away from POL, there are many variables (nutrition and light, for example) that determine when that blessed event happens. Exciting times! 20171224_085927.jpg 20180104_121812.jpg The little darker egg is my first Wyandotte egg on 1/4.

Katie’s Coop and reddpepper86 like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'll bet she's getting close!
    Tho pullets are notorious for getting red then paling back out again-dashing our hopes, can have more to do with exertion.
    Could be days or weeks yet, not all pullets will squat....next sign might be examining and tearing up the nest bedding. Are your nests ready?

reddpepper86 and WhatAboutBob? like this.
  6. reddpepper86

reddpepper86 Chirping

Mar 18, 2016
    Oregon Coast
    Yep! Nesting boxes just got set up 2 days ago. Only one of my ladies has gone in to check it out so far -- and then she promptly hopped out. Lol! I'm hoping they'll take more of a liking to it as the "time" gets closer!

aart likes this.
  7. driver

driver Songster

Nov 12, 2008
    It took my GLW a good week to figure out she should lay the eggs in the nesting box! My other two pullets got it in there on the first try. It's hard to say from one picture, but I think mine might have been a bit darker red when she started at about 29 weeks (about 3 weeks ago).

reddpepper86 and WhatAboutBob? like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: