Golden Laced Wyandotte pullet or roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChinoChix, May 25, 2012.

1. ChinoChix

ChinoChix Chirping

Apr 22, 2012
    Chino Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    Bought these lovelies as chicks back in april. They are about 6 weeks old, give or take. The GLW on the left has a rounder butt, one on the right has obvious longer tail feathers and a face closeup of the face looks to me like a roo. I bought them as female chicks from the local feed store.
    I'm brand new to chickens and want just a tiny flock for fresh eggs. (no roos allowed!) The rest of them that are 6 weeks old all seem to be developing equally (one buff orp and black laced Wyan)...the two little ones at the bottom of the pic are a polish (no idea what sex-straight run) and a little easter egger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you for any advice you can give this newbie!!!

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Songster

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    That's a suspicious face. I'd say roo.

3. ChinoChix

ChinoChix Chirping

Apr 22, 2012
    Chino Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    Thank you...hoping to get some more replies. Here is another shot, on the left[​IMG]

4. looks like roo to me... sorry

5. Eowyn2

Eowyn2 Chirping

Mar 22, 2012
    I think I agree on the roo as well, I'm sorry. My 15 week old golden-laced wyandotte hens don't have combs that prominent yet, so if that's only 6 weeks, I think your suspicions are well-founded. Looks like you have chicken dinner as well as eggs in your flock. :) My wyandottes are like bricks, I think they'd be good eating.

6. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    They both look like cockerels to me.

7. ChinoChix

ChinoChix Chirping

Apr 22, 2012
    Chino Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    I could never eat them :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: