Golden Laced Wyandotte: Too early to tell after 5 weeks? Pics included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CT_Todd, Aug 11, 2010.

1. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    The answer is probably yes but I thought I would throw pics out here anyways.

The reason that makes me wonder is that all the other 5 week old chickens (5 of them) that I have already developed a tail etc. This one is much slower developing. (Would that be because of the breed??). The other chickens are 2 Dominques, 2 Easter Eggers and a Silver Laced Wynadotte.

Any thoughts are apprecaited..(Including telling me to sit tight for another 12 or 13 weeks! LOL)

Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Not sure. I'd guess girl, though...

3. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I have a RIR that is 6 weeks old, and pretty sure is a pullet based on other pictures I've seen and the fact that she does the "egg sqat"- and she is less feathered out than your wyandotte. I'd say girl at this point too, but might be too early to tell (I'm really new at this too!). Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in?

4. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I would guess girl, too. Most of the Wyandotte cockerels I've had have much more color in their comb and more well developed wattles at 5 weeks. But you will need to wait a few more weeks to be sure!

5. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    I got 3 day old Silver Laced Wyandottes from a guy who was raising them alot, and he said he noticed that the SLW girls at a week old got tails before the boys and that's the only way he could tell a difference. Since they were only 3 days old I feather sexed them to have 2 girls and 1 boy, a week later 2 had tails and one did not. So now I have 2 pullets and 1 cockerel, and 3 hens [​IMG] (bought 3 from the pullet section at TSC)
    So if it is a Golden Lace Wyandotte I wonder if it holds true for the tail thing. I dunno, I'm not that familiar with guessing chicken sex/breeds [​IMG]

6. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I'm pretty sure that's a hen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by