Golden laced Wyandotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JenBreese, Aug 2, 2013.

1. JenBreese

JenBreese Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    What do you think of these chicks? Hen or cockerel? I hope hen. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The white one was sold as a Bright Brahma. Is that the same as a Light one?

2. JenBreese

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Oh they were all hatched July 10. One more for good measure.
    [​IMG]

3. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Is the last one a welsummer? If so I would say pullet. I think it's a little too early to tell with the other too.

4. JenBreese

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    The last one is a Welsummer. What do you see in her that says pullet?

5. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    I got a welsummer pullet this year and she got that line of dots too. The cocks look way different than the hens, and the hen's markings are more elaborate, While the roo is more of a traditional barnyard looking bird. So my best guess would be pullet.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Thus far, nobody is screaming roo to me because none of the combs look very developed. However, it is really too early to tell on breeds that don't have sex related markings. Keep posting pics, especially at 6 weeks as often you can get a good idea by then (but early developing females can fool you into thinking they are roo's).

However, the Welsummer can be determined now because they have sex-linked markings... the female chicks from time of hatching have a much stronger eyeliner and a stronger, crisp "v" on the head, while the males look very smudgy on the head and have a very light, non-distinguished eyeliner.

Because of that, your Welsummer looks to be a pullet. She also is getting a nice salmon chest, another sign of a pullet. Males will get black in their chests.

My 2 cents.
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  7. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    The GL is a pullet.

8. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    A little to early to tell.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Though it is a bit early to tell, all of your birds look like pullets so far. The Welsummer is certainly a female, as she has female Welsummer coloring. The Golden-Laced Wyandotte looks female as well, because it has no reddening of the comb yet. As for the Light Brahma (and to answer your question, I belive that a "Bright Brahma" is the same thing as a Light Brahma), it shows no obvious rooster signs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by