Golden Laced Wyandottes - Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Reinbeau, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Here are pictures of my three GLW's. The first two are the ones some have told me are roosters (people viewing photos here on BYC). But I'm no expert! Looking at the three of them, to my untrained eye, they look physically alike except for the redder heads and wattles. Could I just have a paler hen? I hate the thought that two of my three are roosters, they have to go [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following picture is the one I think is a hen:

[​IMG]

And here's one with all three of them in view, you can see the 'pale' one between the other two:

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think........

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They look like they have girly color patterns. My Wyandotte girls I got this year turned red early on, but they are definitely girls.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'm not seeing male hackles yet......[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is my pullet at about 14 weeks old for comparison.
    [​IMG]

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    How old are they now?
    This is mine at 14 weeks also

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  6. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    The one in the second picture looking at the camera looks like it has pointed hackle feathers to me. And the other suspected roo could be developing them as well. It is kinda hard to tell... Post more pictures as they mature and I can have a better opinion. For now I say roo though.

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Thannk you, Speckledhen, you give me hope! These girls (or guys) seem to be pretty hard to sex compared to some of the others!

I'll keep posting pictures every couple of weeks until one of them crows! [​IMG]

8. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    This is going to sound weird, but my 7 week SLWs got red at 5 1/2 weeks and then lost it.
    One was in a standoff yesterday outside and its comb got red for about a minute and went back to its normal color!!

9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    At 14 wks., you should be able to tell a definite difference between the boys' and girls' wattles, the being bigger and redder. The boys' combs will be raised off their heads, where the girls' will not. You would also be seeing some fringy looking male feathering on the wings and back. I don't see any boys in your photos.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I agree with the others. Seeing girls...I have a silver laced Wyandotte and she is 12 weeks old...her face is getting pretty pink already and looks alot like yours do. Looks like they are keepers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by