Golden Laced Wyandottes, White feathers? Take A look (Pics Added)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by barg, Jun 29, 2007.

1. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    When they are young, do Golden Laced wyandottes sometimes get some white feathering as they start to get their feathers?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Oooh, good question -I'm wondering that too! I have two young gold-laced cochin bantams, and one of them is heavily spotted with white. The hatchery seemed to think that it definitely was GL bantam and not a mille fleur cochin bantam (which I suspected). So I'm guessing that they can have white spots in their early feathers. I hope you get some good answers from more experienced people! [​IMG]

3. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    I have one that is 8weeks old and she hasn't got any.

4. mlheran

Quote:Oh, that's a good point! Exactly how old are they? Mine are almost six weeks old and look like this (not the best pic, sorry!):

[​IMG]

Out of interest (and curiousity [​IMG]) could you post a pic of yours?

5. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Mine is just about 3 weeks now.
    I will get a photo and post it later today, it may not be easy to see because of what the flash does, ill try to get a natural lighting shot if I can.

6. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Ok here she is.
    You can clearly see the white on the feathers.
    For those who havent read my earlier posts, I had to try to pick out a glw from a batch that had been mixed with EE's and this was my second attempt.
    When I went to take these pics today, she had feathered out even more since last night and some of the laceing Pattern has started to show.

But whats up with the white feathers!

/winnie3weeks.jpg
    The green foot in the pic belongs to our EE that's sitting next to her on my arm.

/winniw3w.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  7. barg

Apr 27, 2007
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jimagination

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
  9. Jimagination

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    Ok, here is my girl, Winnie....I know, real original...(she is 8 weeks old)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  10. mlheran

Quote:I'm noping not. [​IMG] I have a black cochin bantam of the same age and he is red with a really big comb. So far the gold-laced have red wattles and very peachy combs that haven't grown very much. But the one that has the heavy white spotting is always challenging my black roo, though I haven't heard it crow (which the black has been doing for a few weeks). We'll see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by