Golden Laced Wyandotte's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K-9Dog, Aug 7, 2014.

1. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    I am new to this breed and one of them started laying this past week and the eggs are very small but look nice. I have seen that they are large egg producers, so will they get bigger? I do not remember my other hens years ago if they started small and increased size. But I had to ask.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Few laying hens start out with full sized eggs -(said that way for the inevitable, "mine did" if I said none, lol) - it is most common for them to start out laying small eggs that will progressively get larger.

1 person likes this.
  3. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Ok Thanks - I figured so but had to ask.

4. earlyredrooster

earlyredrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    I ordered seven of this breed for my son and they are the most aggressive bird we have. Is this a trait of the whole breed?

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not really - they are commonly described as docile and friendly. That being said, in our current mixed flock the wyandottes (we have GLW and SLW) are the least friendly of all our birds, but still do not exhibit aggressive tendencies - they are just not all that interested in being friendly with us.
    What are the aggressive behaviors you are seeing in your birds, how old are they, how many birds total in the flock, when were the seven introduced in respect to the rest of the flock, etc. Knowing a bit more about the situation would help to suss out whether this is a breed issue or another underlying cause.

1 person likes this.
  6. earlyredrooster

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    They came in an oeder of thirty chicks we recieved may 28th. They get along with the other birds but when I go to feed, they run up an peck our feet asif they want to eat them also. I free-range all my birds and feed grain and 22% crumble once a day.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  7. The Huffs Chics

The Huffs Chics Just Hatched

Jul 29, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Our GLW are friendly a little shy although they were raised till three months of age inside the house until the coop was complete. They will come to you for treats otherwise they like to be there chicken selves. These are pictures of 2 of the 5 left out of our original 6 one of our two roosters just up a disappeared with no trace. As you can see the rooster that remains looks nice and the hen is nice and big. No eggs yet cant wait any day now we purchased them mid march and they were at least a week old then so there roughly 6 months old so eggs are close, our rooster is trying to do dirty deeds to our hens and hes crowing up a storm now.

8. earlyredrooster

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A couple of ours. They are solid birds, a lot heavier than they look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by