Golden Lakenvelder roo X Silver true rumpless Araucana

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenmama22, Jan 4, 2014.

1. chickenmama22

chickenmama22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    What would I expect from crossing a Golden Lakenvelder roo with a rumpless, tuftless silver araucana (true)? I was hoping for a silver-gold cross and sex-linked chicks. The first 2 hatched and they look yellow.

[​IMG]

2. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
    [​IMG]
    The one on the right has a larger stripe and has a tail. The one with less of a stripe is rumpless. Rumplessness is dominant, right? So my Araucana would be heterozygous for rumplessness?

Here's a face shot:
    [​IMG]

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I can tell you that the mother is not the Silver araucana, this chicks look like a eb/eWh cross.. meaning the roo mated with a Wheaten based pullet... do you have wheaten/buff araucana? you see eb(lakenvelder) mated to e+(silver araucana) will produce e+/eb chicks that will look chipmunked stripped and this chicks are not, but eb/eWh chicks do look like that

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  4. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    I am not familiar with what genes go into either of these breeds, so I could be off. Usually I will override the Chicken Calculator if I know what genes are going into it, but it looks as though they should be sex-linked, those two in the pictures I would assume to be male, but some would be rumpless and others would not 50% chance. Females would be golden and rumpless would be 50% also.

1 person likes this.
  5. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Don't mind me LOL, Marvin showed up and always has better answers.

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  7. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
    Well, I didn't get what I expected, but I have more eggs in the incubator. I only have one blue egg layer in the Golden Lakenvelder's cage. So I'm quite sure who the mother hen is. I do not know much about her (the silver Araucana) since I hatched her from an Araucana seller. Maybe she's not officially "silver?" The roo is one of the offspring from last year's flock of lakenvelders.

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:well she is Silver alright and my actually look silver duckwing ameraucana but infact maybe a silver x whetean ameraucana cross, which I would not blame the selling it as silver as this cross(wheaten x Wildtype) will produce wildtype looking chicks.... and just when you do the outcross is when you find out she is heterozygous for wheaten.. Edit. sorry I meant Araucana

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. chickenmama22

Aug 29, 2007
    Thanks! So, what I've learned so far: the hen is apparently carrying wheaten genes; half of the offspring so far (lol, such a huge gene pool) are rumpless. Lakenvelders carry eb.

I purchased the chick as an egg and I'm not sure what color adults laid the seller's eggs. Since I can't locate a true araucana that is rumpless and tufted, I'm playing genetics games with her and the lakenvelders.

Is there any chance that the chick with less of a stripe is yellower than the other? Can 8 tell gender by stripe? I can't wait for the next batch to hatch!

10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:you cant sex them by the stripes... they seem to be yellow, so they seem to be the same sex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by