1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Lakenvelders—anyone have them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

If so—how are they at free-ranging?

Do they do well in extreme heat/cold?

Do their combs get frostbitten?

How well do they lay?

Thanks!

2. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have seen pictures of them. I love the look of them and would love to have a big roo of this breed!!

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Yeah, I saw some on eBay for sale...that's why I asked. I've been thinking about finding a good breed to free range with my ducks/geese--so I don't have to add even more onto our little 8 x 8 coop....as it is, I think I have 12 breeds now. [​IMG] And we'll have six runs next spring...although I think we'll have to break down & build a second coop. [​IMG]

I don't want them all to wander because of predators, cold, heat, etc. and the fact they may cross-breed. So I thought I would look into a rare breed that I can let free range with my ducks/geese that isn't mean but can survive wandering without wandering too far away. If that all makes sense?

And yes, I think they are beautimus! I am also considering Delawares, Speckled Sussex or Russian Orloffs...

4. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    I just got 3 doz eggs from that seller. I believe she's the only one on there selling the goldens. Packed very nicely and only 1 cracked. I know there was someone who purchased and hatched them from her and said they were sweet birds and not flighty. I'd be careful about asking her any questions though because after I did, someone bid against me until a doz were up to $24 and when i quit bidding and the auction ended, I got the 2nd chance offer that I'd suspected I would receive.[​IMG]

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Oh, okay...wait...I don't get what you're saying--or did you mean she bid up her own auction???

6. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    That is where I saw them too. I like the silver ones too, but the gold just stood out! Love it!!

7. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    The b/w Lakenvelders are excellent foragers and mature fast. I haven't seen anything that the golden ones are different other than color.

8. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    Quote:Oh, okay...wait...I don't get what you're saying--or did you mean she bid up her own auction???

It sure seemed that way but of course I have no way to prove it. I did win 3 of her other auctions at very reasonable prices but I didn't ask her any questions through those particular auctions. The most I paid for a 10+ auction was $8.50. She sent 2 extra of each breed. She was a very nice person to deal with and if i have a good hatch, I'll certainly do business with her again.

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Cool, thanks! Do you think their combs would get frostbite?

10. Rare Feathers Farm

It sure seemed that way but of course I have no way to prove it. I did win 3 of her other auctions at very reasonable prices but I didn't ask her any questions through those particular auctions. The most I paid for a 10+ auction was $8.50. She sent 2 extra of each breed. She was a very nice person to deal with and if i have a good hatch, I'll certainly do business with her again.

Oh, I see...I guess I'll just watch her auctions & not ask her any questions, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by