Golden Lakenvelders Breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Red Rooster, Nov 8, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Who has Golden Lakenvelders? I don't but, I though they were very interesting. Never seen a chicken like that before!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Those are called Golden Lakenvelders here in the US.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    They look like the buckskin of poultry. Very pretty!

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Very flightly breed. Lost a hen when she became egg bound, had a heart attack and died in my hands. You'll find the sliver lakenvelder more so than the golden lakenvelder. But they are very pretty.

5. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    There actually is a breed in the US that is the Vorwerk and not a Golden Lakenvelder. It is a bantam breed that was developed by a gentleman in Minnesota by the name of Wilmar Vorwerk. They are quite active little birds with a lot of personality and similar to bantam Lakenvelder in many respects. but they are a different breed. In Europe there is a large fowl breed of Vorwerk that is not in the US, and it is not just a Golden Lakenvelder.
    I have both the Vorwerks and bantam Lakenvelder. They are both beautiful breeds and lay surprisingly large eggs for their size.

6. desilvam

desilvam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    I have a Golden Lakenvelder hen as one of my pets, and they are definitely very interesting [​IMG] They are very beautiful, unique chickens. They don't like being held at all compare to the other chickens, and we handled the GL chick frequently. They get along pretty well with our other chickens, but sometimes can show aggresiveness toward more docile chickens (for example our Dark Brahma). Very loud when first starting to lay eggs, but gets better. Hope I helped! [​IMG]

7. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a GL hen and a pullet. They're gorgeous gals. Yes, they aren't real affectionate to people. My hen, however, was not bossy. She's not very high on the pecking order scale but she's not docile - she's FAST and can escape other hens, roosters (often) and people (me) very easily. They also fly, because they're lighter birds. They fly WELL.

9. TopHatsNSpats

TopHatsNSpats Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Central/Western Oklahoma
    I have my first ever Golden Lakenvelders this year; just hatched out 5 last month and have another dozen in the incubator now. Hoping they will be the foundation for my new obsession LOL. I had a pair of the silvers before, they were so gorgeous but as others have mentioned, pretty flighty. But they were so pretty, and commanded so much attention, that I was sad I could not get good eggs out of them. But, I found a local breeder with really nice birds and very fertile eggs, so hoping to get started right this time! I will say that the peeps I hatched out are very social; when I reach into the brooder to water or feed, they climb all over my hands, so I really hope these will be less flighty than my last pair.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  10. TopHatsNSpats

TopHatsNSpats Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Central/Western Oklahoma
    And now I have a small flock of both colors! Very happy with them and looking forward to this breeding season. Will have photos in a few days, when the snow clears up :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by