Golden Lakenvelders Question

drom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
California
Does anyone have any Lakenvelder hens? I just ordered a golden one because they are so pretty, but I keep reading that they are wild and flighty. I am not too sure what to make of that because all the breed profiles of the S. Buttercup say about the same thing and I love my little Buttercup. She is sweet and inquisitive and gets along great with my Barred Rock and EE girls. Doesn't seem nervous at all. In fact she seems to like it when I pick her up.
So I am wondering if the Lakenvelders are the same if they are socialized early.
Does anyone know?

Also, these pullets I have will be about 8 weeks ahead of my Lakenvelder chick. At what age should I try to put her in with the girls and could that be a real problem? I just have the 3 girls now; Buttercup, BR and EE.

Any opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It sounds like nobody really keeps these birds. But no one has said anything bad about them either. So, I guess they are not an undesirable bird.
I'm going to assume they are pretty rare, because no one, at least on this forum, has said a thing about them.
hmm.png

but me ya i have two silver lakenvelders the are very flighty but beautiful but i would go with taming them i have to chicks of the silver lakenvelders and i tamed them and they are nice now and i have one make crele which i tamed too they are suppose to be flighty like the lakenvelders but he dosen't seem that way yet plus he is only 3 months old and ya i live in victoria and i've been searching for golden lakenvelders and the S. buttercups those two breeds i really want and i adore too so if they are laying pm me thx
cheers

Back
Top Bottom