Golden Male Sneezing

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by oleduke, Jan 28, 2011.

1. oleduke

oleduke Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    As the title suggests, I have a young Golden male that is sneezing. I have been watching him for over three weeks; he has no nasal discharge, no diarrhea or runny poop, he doesn't show any symptoms that is typical of coryza, but he sneezes more than I am comfortable with. I have separated him from the rest of the flock, which he doesn't like at all. I am using heat lamps (red bulbs) for all my birds at night since it has been in the single digits more than usual. No other birds are sneezing, so if it is something I have moved him away in time to prevent spreading to others.

I am feeding them all a very high protein diet & giving them pumpkin as well, since it is a natural wormer. I am guessing he has a cold since he has no other symptoms, but isolation is still in effect just to be safe. I have him in a separate enclosure so that I may enter and exit without exposing anything to my other birds, should he sneeze on me or my clothing.

My father has chickens & I have had to take care of them since he is ill at the moment, but I try to take all precautions not to bring anything home with me. Also, the chickens are not at the same location as my pheasants & I haven't noticed any of them being sick.

So my question/s are do you think this is a simple cold or could it be the start of something else? I tried to provide as much information above to rule out tons of guess work. Is there something to give them for colds? His sneezing has lessened since it started, but he still sneezes. He has no wheezing, he is not brooding or moping around, and eats well. That's all I can think of for now. Suggestions ...?

Thanks

Dave & oleduke the dog [​IMG]

2. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
  3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    What Sort Of Bedding Substrate Is He On Or Has He Been On When This Started?

I Agree With Vqb I Would Give Him A Dose Of Tylan And It Wouldnt Hurt To Spike His Water Supply With A Lil Solumet Either, Both As A Prophylactic Treatment. If It Were Coryza You Would Definately Know After 3 Weeks... As Most Wouldnt Survive That Long, Or Would Have Gotten Over It By Now. My Question Above Is Looking For Dusty Environment - Possible Iiritation/ Sinus Allergy??

4. tennesseered

tennesseered Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    tennessee
    Hi Oleduke:

Putting the pheasant in isolation is the best way to make sure no contagious disease spreads to other birds, but more than likely your bird just got some dust in the wrong place or has an allergy. After 30 days if he is still sneezing, but otherwise healthy you are probably safe in putting him back in with other birds. As far as it being a cold, I have never heard of birds being affected by rhino-viruses which are the cause of common colds, but I could be wrong. There are other diseases which can effect the respiratory track of birds and they often cause eye problems at the same time. One thing you mentioned in your post is you have heat lamps on your goldens. I can understand you being worried about your birds, but as long as you have given them good shelter and high quality food water to drink for a least a few hours each day you can skip the heat lamps. Most pheasants including ruffed pheasants (goldens & amhearsts) can take well below zero. I'm from the Northwest originally and in Southern Idaho where we had good stretches of weather well below zero every winter and none of the breeders there including myself ever put in heat lamps. The birds kick up their metabolism on cold nights and generate extra heat. Go out at night and pick up one of your birds and feel their flesh and you will be surprised how warm they are under their feathers!

5. oleduke

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    Quote:Ok, I read that thread and did some searching on Google. I can buy Tylan 200 (isn't this for cows ? i've never used it) locally here, but I do not want to inject it. Can I give it to him orally? If so, how many cc's or mg's?

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Tylan200 0.25 Cc Orally

7. oleduke

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    Quote:I have straw, earth, forest leaves etc.. on the ground for him. It never occurred to me until now, but it might be the straw making him sneeze. I've never had a pheasant with an allergy, but I guess it isn't impossible. He flies up to his perch every night just like normal. I still would like to give him something like Tylan, but I know very little of it and prefer oral dosage over injection. Can you also give me more information on Solumet? I've always culled birds as opposed to treatment, but I am rather attached to these few and I am no longer breeding like I used to. So I want to keep the ones I have healthy.

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Could The Straw Be Damp And Moldy Or Mildewed?

9. oleduke

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    Quote:I actually did this tonight, and you are right they are a lot warmer than I thought. Tonight I turned the heat lamps off. I appreciate all the help and advise [​IMG]

10. oleduke

Nov 4, 2008
    WV
    Quote:I changed it today, and usually about twice a week. It was a little wet but not overly so. I will start changing it more frequently and see if it helps him. Twice a week has been ok for the rest but it may not be for him.

Regarding the Tylan 200, 0.25 cc orally for how many days JJMR, 7 - 10 ?? I guess I should add this male will be a year old on May 2nd I believe.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by