Golden Narragansett Hen pic!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ColbyNTX, Sep 22, 2010.

1. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    This spring a guy gave me some turkey eggs to hatch. He had RP's, BR,s and Narr's all running togather. I was hatching them to raise for meat birds but I got a really pretty surprise with this pretty little golden narragansett hen. She is about 5 months now and I have a Narragansett tom that she will be paired up with next spring and see if I get the 50/50 mix of narr and golden narr's. Anyway, just wanted to share her pic. They are not that good because they were a quick iPhone snapshot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. turkaholic

turkaholic Songster

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Nice!!!
    I hatched out several Golden Narr's this year and kept a pair. I got mine by crossing a bronze hen with a red gene to a wild bronze tom that carried a Narr gene. At least that is where I think they came from. Turkey color genetics is interesting and I am getting more and more into it due to Porter's website.

Looking forward next spring to the poult order I placed with him!

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I hatch a bunch of Kevin Porters eggs this year and they were nice eggs and poults. He shipped me 14 Sweetgrass eggs late this summer and I was worried because the USPS took 4 days to get here in over 100 deg heat. I did pay the extra for the cold pack and I think it did save the eggs. I put the 14 eggs in the Dickey's and got 7 poults that are all doing great now at about 4 weeks old. I think 50% is pretty good for late season turkeys shipped from North IN to Texas in 100+ deg weather that took 4 days!

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    WoW! That's much more colorful than most pictures show. Very Nice!

5. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    cool coloring on the wings

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  6. farmerlor

farmerlor Songster

What a pretty, pretty girl!!! Boy, I wish I could enlarge my operation to include a couple more breeds of turkeys. Golden Narris would DEFINITELY be on my list.

7. ChucknTerri

ChucknTerri Hatching

May 14, 2011
    Greetings,

We have rescued a 6 year old Narragansett Tom turkey. He has never had a hen turkey in his midst. I'm looking for a hen for him and I think the golden breed is very beautiful. He is the "normal" coloring that has been in existence since the 1800's. Does anyone have a hen that would make a good mate for him? My chicken hens don't get his displaying. He's very beautiful, a bit thin (not for long!!!! ).

Please email me at [email protected]

I live in Eugene, OR.

Thank you so so much,

Terri
    10/21/2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by