ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
What’s your favorite and why? Similarities and differences? I know that this varies a lot and also that field bred versus show bred in both breeds are drastically different and even two field bred dogs from both breeds have differences but just curious. From what I have read Goldens appear to be slightly softer and more sensitive, less hardheaded, and don’t seem to deal with loud and/or chaotic environments as well? Do you find that true? Would love pictures and/or stories from both breeds. I love both breeds, we’ve always had Labs or Lab crosses but every Golden I’ve met has been incredibly sweet and I have loved them as well. I love all dogs but seem to have a special fondness for the hunting breeds like retrievers and spaniels. They’re just such great dogs. Although my list of potential breeds is very long and includes dogs from every group. :lol::oops: Anyway, would love to talk about these two breeds (or other retrievers/sporting breeds) as well as get some opinions/input. I can’t get another dog for a while but right now the major contenders are these two breeds (Goldens and Labs) as well as Aussies and Poodles. Looking for a smart, loyal, fairly easily trainable, active dog that I can take places with me and hike and bike and possibly skijor with as well as train in agility, nosework, and/or obedience and teach tricks. Love training so I’d want to train a lot but not necessarily be crazy needing to do something every second. Preferably loving/wanting to be with me as well and good off leash so a lot of breeds fit that bill which makes it hard to narrow down.

What’s your favorite and why? Similarities and differences? I know that this varies a lot and also that field bred versus show bred in both breeds are drastically different and even two field bred dogs from both breeds have differences but just curious. From what I have read Goldens appear to be slightly softer and more sensitive, less hardheaded, and don’t seem to deal with loud and/or chaotic environments as well? Do you find that true? Would love pictures and/or stories from both breeds. I love both breeds, we’ve always had Labs or Lab crosses but every Golden I’ve met has been incredibly sweet and I have loved them as well. I love all dogs but seem to have a special fondness for the hunting breeds like retrievers and spaniels. They’re just such great dogs. Although my list of potential breeds is very long and includes dogs from every group. :lol::oops: Anyway, would love to talk about these two breeds (or other retrievers/sporting breeds) as well as get some opinions/input. I can’t get another dog for a while but right now the major contenders are these two breeds (Goldens and Labs) as well as Aussies and Poodles. Looking for a smart, loyal, fairly easily trainable, active dog that I can take places with me and hike and bike and possibly skijor with as well as train in agility, nosework, and/or obedience and teach tricks. Love training so I’d want to train a lot but not necessarily be crazy needing to do something every second. Preferably loving/wanting to be with me as well and good off leash so a lot of breeds fit that bill which makes it hard to narrow down.

Both breeds Golden and Labs are great. Less hair on the lab, less grooming costs, easily trainable, and family friendly. Of the two breeds the Labrador has more stamina for hiking and biking but Golden’s do a fine job too. Depends on how far want to go. Labradors typically come in yellow, mid- brown, black. Considered waterproof, water loving, and affable. Weight 55-75 lbs. Life expectancy 12-14 years. Breed intended for companion or gun dogs originally. Now also assistance dogs. Medical Issues when older could be hereditary cataracts, hip and elbow arthritis, and wayward temperaments. Usually loyal, dependable, and gentle.

Golden Retriever same use and origin. Weight 60-80 lbs. Life expectancy for 13-15 years. Colors Cream and Golden.
Waterproof undercoat flat or wavy hair. Alert, sensible, calm, relaxed but responsive personality. Easy to train. Very patient with children or small dogs. Used as assistance dogs. Some but rarely can have allergic skin conditions, eye problems, and irritable snappiness. Definitely more hair and grooming costs.

Choose from reputable breeders or sources so not likely to have inherited defects.

I haven't owned either, but have groomed both. Labs shed like nothing else. Goldens can be dirtier because of the longer coat. I once knew a lady that bred show goldens and they were the smartest most gorgeous dogs. I personally would go with a golden myself. My husband some day wants a bird dog, so I'm eager to see which of these breeds people prefer too. :pop

While I don’t own either breed. My family owned labs and great family dogs. I own a doggie daycare and my Golden every dog of any size loves and sleeps in a pack with. He allows puppies to crawl, roll and sleep all over him. Your description of the breed I found accurate.

The standard poodle while has hair and more grooming needed is very responsive easy to train, reliable, and good companion. Lower than average skin issues, does not molt so better if have allergies. Dependable and calm unlike smaller miniature version that can be hyperactive. Is said to have some water retrieving skills. Life expectancy 11-15 years. Variety of colors.

Why not get the best of both? LOL
We have a Golden Lab mix. Mom is a golden, dad is a lab. She's amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 12
Guess I will just put a word in for shelter dogs... LOT's of GOOD and PURE breed dogs available... :oops:

To ME... ALWAYS a worthy investment... Take the time, visit MANY shelters... and go back. ;)

I also LOVE bird dogs or hound types. :love

Well.. I love them all.. and try to have an idea in my mind... but let fate lead me to that ONE connection.. Not just jumping at the first one that might work... I can't rescue them all... but ONE can rescue me. No regrets! :wee

Good to see you around Kdog! :hugs

Aussies would be great with dog agility but have a lot of herding drive and are very active dogs. Require much training as very active. Again grooming needs because of hair. I don’t have a lot information for ya on Aussies. Good Luck! Let us know what you choose and picks when do. :)

I have 2 Goldens a male and female, if you have kids there is no better breed. I raised mine since young puppies, both train super fast, the gentlest breed I have ever seen. Mine are hopelessly devoted to my children. My male golden would let my daughter use him to crawl all over and as she was learning to stand she would grab his long main and pull her self up to stand and he would not move until we moved her or she got down and crawled away so he wouldn't knock her over. The down side is the hair they shed ALOT and bring everything from outside in attached to them. All that love they are by no means guard dogs, mine will rarely bark. Well only my male will bark and that is if someone knocks at the front door because everyone we know comes through the garage to the mud room so only strangers come to the front door. I always joke that if someone ever did break in that all they had to do is say "Hey Buddy" and he would be instant friends and show them to the valuables.
60522C1E-C33D-4F06-A510-BF080B9B42E3.jpeg
C6035392-3B8F-4CAC-A4F2-69C9B256BE60.jpeg
F0698F77-38A6-4623-80F0-93B96D7FE7D0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom