Golden pheasant colors

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by northeastDad, Mar 4, 2017.

1. northeastDad

northeastDad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    New York
    Are the mutation colors in golden pheasants from inbreeding or out crossing then bred towards desired color side ?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    More then likely both have contributed to odd coloring.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. northeastDad

northeastDad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    New York
    Thanks for the reply tony . Can males be kept in a pen together ? I've heard no , but then I've seen pics on the internet that have like 5 or 6 males together ??

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yes you can house multiple males of different breeds together as long as there are no hens around and all males need to be put in pen at the same time.You can not add a male to an existing pen or they will kill the new comer.
    In N.H.,Tony.

5. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    X2, what Tony said, only thing to add is the pen needs to be fairly large and have multiple perches, so that one can get away from another aggressive bird.

6. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    I let mine socialize (2 males, 4 hens) In the off breeding season and it is usually pretty relaxed....but they do pester each other as breeding season gets closer. They do seem to be a bit more aggressive as the season approaches, but for the most part it is that "pestering bluff" of chasing and shadowing the other and an occasional pecking but nothing serious. Thus I have not seen an all out cock fight between them.
    But I still feel it is better safe than sorry during the breeding season and I do separate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by