Golden Pheasant or not?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by calikid, Mar 11, 2014.

1. calikid

calikid Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    I recently got a pair of "golden pheasants" but the hen doesn't seen to be one! Please help me ID her
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Just out of curiosity, what is it about her that makes you think she's not a Golden Pheasant hen? I'm in no way an expert on Golden Pheasants but I know there are several color variations of Golden Pheasants. Cackle Hatchery carries Dark Throated Goldens, Red Goldens, Splash Goldens, Cinnamon Goldens and Goldens. McMurray has Red Goldens. Are they from a hatchery or a local breeder? It's also very easy for different species of pheasants to cross breed. I have seen crosses between Lady Amhersts and Goldens and Ring Necks and Goldens just to name a few. Looking at your male, his coloring is off for a Golden Golden if you will lol. Then again, I don't know the ages of your birds. If they are both young might thier true feathering/color come in after their first molt? Also, she may have another pheasant breed in her which could account for her gray legs and I would hazard a guess your male might also have the same issue due to his feather coloration.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. calikid

Oct 2, 2013
    @KieksterChicken her feet are green/ grey in color. Golden are suppose to have yellow feet from what I've read.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  4. KieksterChicken

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    I edited my post..you may want to re-read it..Sorry about that.

5. calikid

Oct 2, 2013
    @KieksterChicken Thanks for the help judging by their looks can you tell what they might be mixed with. I was thinking lady Amherst but you would know more. Thanks for replying!

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Your male is a yellow golden. As to how pure they are, you will need to ask this in the pheasant section on the main forum.

7. calikid

Oct 2, 2013
    @ramirezframing
    Will do!

8. KieksterChicken

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Since your birds come from a mixed flock it would explain why the female has dark legs if she is a Golden because she's probably not pure Golden. Looking at the picture, the male looks like a Golden but his color seems a bit washed out so maybe he's just not a good example of the breed or else he has some other pheasant crossed in with him. As far as guessing what they might be mixed with..well probably anything that was in the pen with them..lol. Heinz 57 pheasants? It's the same as chickens, you have pure breds and then you have mixes that could resemble purebreds but can't be claimed as purebred since they are mixed..lol..Heinz 57 barnyard mixes. So if the people you bought those pheasants from are claiming they are purebred but had all their different types of pheasants mixed in one enclosure then they can't guarantee any of their birds they sold you are purebred anythings. If they claimed the birds you bought were purebred, they lied to you. If you were wanting purebreds I would contact them and ask for your money back or ask them for truly purebred stock. If they can't do that I wouldn't deal with them.

9. calikid

Oct 2, 2013
    @KieksterChicken Its okay I traded a pair of asils for them. He's replacing the female today for me. So let's hope a better example of the breed!

10. KieksterChicken

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Hoping you get a nice bird and great chicks. Guessing mating time for them is close? It won't be long before you can confirm how good the pairing will be. I would love to know how the chicks turn out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by