Golden Phoenix bantam? Please help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by msrma7670, Jan 13, 2010.

1. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello all you chicken lovers!

I have this bird see pics [​IMG] I need help on exactly what breed he is. I am pretty sure it is a golden phoenix, however
    not sure on the diffrence between the jap and just the bantam. Are they the same? several websites I have looked at
    say there is a diffrence. I have looked at the feather site pics. The big reason I need to know is to find a girl for this guy.
    Right now he is with 3 SLW hens and some wellsumners. Although I am curious about the cross i dont know if i want to do that.
    Any help will be much accepted.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. jqs birds

jqs birds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    I think he is a black breasted red phoenix. He doesn't have the golden (yellow) hackles and saddle feathers.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    He is looks more Black breasted than Golden. Either way he looks to have something other than Phoenix in him, Phoenix should have solid white ear lobs yours have a lot of red showing..

Chris

4. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    I'm no help, but he is gorgeous! [​IMG]

5. msrma7670

[​IMG] thank you all for your help.

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    It is a Black Breasted Red, I raise Standard Phoenix and have BBR, Gold , Silver and White.

He looks Pure, but are you sure he is Bantam? Hard for me to tell without seeing him next to another bird, Standards are not overly huge birds.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The Standard of Perfection calls for the large fowl to be:
    Cocks 5 ½ lbs. Hens 4 lbs.
    The bantams to be:
    Cocks 38 oz. Hens 30 oz.

The reason I say he might not be pure is how much red is in the ear lobs.
    I know that some people have added blue legged American Game blood to the Phoenix to get some new colors..

Chris

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Wow! He's a looker! [​IMG] I wonder if you crossed him with the wellies if you'd get wellie- looking hens. His color is so similar to the wellie males. Love that pattern.

9. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Here is a Gold Hen, I am really not familiar with Wellsummers so not sure. I know it's not the best picture but the gold hens have almost a lacing effect on the edges of their feathers, like laced Wyandottes do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. msrma7670

We got this roo from a lady that shows her birds.
    She said he would be a show quality roo when grown up,
    Since she had a roo she did not want we took him before she took care of him. [​IMG]

We don't show our birds or anything like that however I would like to get him a mate.
    any suggestion on where I could get one would be a great help. He is tired of being with my marans.
    Also I do not think he weighs five pounds. Not sure about the big diffrence but he is about 1/4 the
    maran size we have if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by