Golden Phoenix chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ZooZoo, Apr 14, 2008.

1. ZooZoo

ZooZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Does anyone have info on golden pheonix chickens? Someone is selling two Golden Phoenix hens but i cant seem to find any info or pics of them.
    Thanks

2. ZooZoo

ZooZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    [​IMG] anyone?

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Feathersite has some good information on them, if you want a basic overview and alot of good pics. A lady around here has a single Silver Phoenix hen, the hen is a quiet, agreeable little thing. Living with a flock of dual purpose(she was a "surprise" chick) and doing well even surrounded by the larger older birds. The roosters are gorgeous.

Just do not expect the super long tails. For the really long tails you are wanting the Onagadori(and you'll pay some $$$). To get the crazy long tails the roosters are kept in high cages on roosts and fed special diets. A bit high maintenance for me, but that is only if you want the Onagadori to have their famous tails.

I do not have any personal exerience with the Phoenix, I've seen breeding pairs of the Golden at local sales, and boy are they handsome even under a year old.

-Kim

4. Jane H

Jane H New Egg

Mar 12, 2011
    I was just asked to take in a Golden Phoenix male and two hens. Let me know if your still looking. Also a male and female Sultan.

5. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Our secondary roo is a silver Phoenix, and I have to say I am very impressed by him. While he doesn't have a show tail, he does have a lot of yard appeal with his extra-long saddle, hackle, and sickle feathers and his bold coloring. People frequently ask me if I will sell him. The reason I kept him, though, is his excellent temperament. He's gentlemanly with the hens, a good alerter when there's a hawk, and really works hard to keep his hens provided-for and safe. He's intelligent and has been people-friendly from day one. I actually like his manners better than those of our boss roo, Baron, but Baron has the size that I want to keep in the laying bloodline.

If the Phoenix that you're looking at are anything like our roo, you should be pleased by them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by