Golden Reds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KingFisher, Sep 3, 2008.

1. KingFisher

KingFisher Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Hello. At the end of April I purchased eight chicks from a local farm store. The only information they could tell me is that they are called Golden Reds. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which breeds were crossed to produce this type. Here is a picture of the hens at eleven weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    they are now eighteen weeks old and some have just started laying.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    These chickens are also known as Golden Comets and Red Stars. It just depends on what the hatchery they come from wants to call them. [​IMG] They are a cross between a Delaware rooster and a RIR hen.

WELCOME TO BYC, by the way!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. KingFisher

KingFisher Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Thank you.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You're welcome! [​IMG]

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Wow, they're prettier than any other Red Stars I've ever seen! Where'd you get them?

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Look just like our Red X Link Rita. Delaware x RIR indeed!

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

The male has to be the red one for the sex linking to work.

I don't think there is a way to know which particular breeds were used unless you contact the hatchery, even they may not know. [​IMG]

Good luck with your girls, you're going to love them. Mine are so snuggly and GREAT layers! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  8. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I call mine Cinnamon! She is so sweet, she chatters to me, and sits on my arm! They are great! I have heard them called Golden comet, Cinnamon Queens, Red Stars, etc...fantastic birds, I cant wait for eggs! All the good from these birds!
    Tina

9. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    They look exactly like my Gold Comets. They are rather pretty, aren't they? And if they're like mine, first-class layers, too.

10. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    :cool:Gorgeous birds!!1 I was just given a Golden Comet that is about 6 months old along with 3 RI's and 1 EE are currently still cautious of me but after 4 days they are beginning to trust me. U can't wait for "Goldie" to grow up and she seems like such a gentle girl

Farmer Mack [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goldie is the one on the right

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by