Golden Retriever breeder

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bock, Oct 29, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    My grandparents are in the market for a golden puppy for a pet, and they came down this weekend. Personally, I have always rescued, so we weren't sure what to look for exactly. My grandma was looking in the local paper and saw an add for 3 golden pups, $300 for the 1 male and $350 for the 2 females. We went to visit, and the puppies were healthy, and the parents were nice. Our one concern was that the mom was tiny. The dad was about 80 pounds, their one year old daughter was about 60 pounds, and the mom looked like she must have been 45 or 50 pounds. They said the parents were 3 years old, but she looked like she was 6 months old! I am thinking they 1)lied about her age 2), she's a runt, or 3)she is just really small. So my question is, if she is a runt, would that negatively affect her children at all? The puppies also seemed sort of....distracted too. They were kept in a kennel outside with a tarp on the top to keep the rain out. When he let them out, it seemed like they hadn't been let out in ages. The two females enjoyed attention, but the male would hide in the dog cage about half the time. He did come out, but he wouldn't come when we called, and when you approached him, he would cower. For some reason I don't really understand, my grandma has her heart set on the little male. He could be fine and grow out of his fear, but I don't think it is a good idea to get a dog that is afraid of you. Also, the parents were not tested for any problems that they could pass to their offspring. Sorry for rambling, but they are wondering if they should get a pup from them, and what temperament, Thanks ahead of time! [​IMG]

2. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I think that you are very wise in asking these questions and putting consideration into choosing a puppy. It sounds like you have some concerns that are already giving you the answers to your questions. My thought with animals is that if you are at all in doubt...don`t. Puppies are so naturally endearing and full of love making them hard to resist. If you are walking away not feeling like it is a good thing then it probably isn`t.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's a lot of money...

We have a small girl and I like her that way. She is a beautiful red Golden. She is AKC registered and my kids found a stud (Blondish Buff Golden) that is also registered so we were thinking about having pups. I doubt we'd sell them for that much but AZ is a long ways away from N. CA.

4. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks. I will tell my grandparents what you guys said, after all it is their choice. [​IMG]

5. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    double post

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  6. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    If the dogs seem well cared for chances are that the male is just pre-disposed to shyness/fear. This is not a good thing. A fearful dog is actually far more inclined to bite than a dominant dog. Run don't walk. Dogs without health testing are also a heartbreak waiting to happen. Mutts with no testing are generally a safer bet than purebreds from backyard breeders as chances are there could be some inbreeding.

7. brownlikewoah

brownlikewoah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    seattle
    having owned a golden, I can say they can be wonderful dogs. That being said, I will never get another one unless it is EXTREMELY well bred, having a ton of health tests done on the parents. Goldens have become extremely popular, which has resulted in some really crappy breeders, breeding crappy dogs. Did you know goldens are like one of the top 5 biting dogs in the US? Also something to consider, goldens are high energy, working dogs... are your grandparents sure they want to deal with that? I would suggest looking into the golden retriever club of america, finding a local club and finding breeders from there.

8. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I would easily pass on the pups.
    Like hound said... run don't walk.
    No testing and fear behavior.

Papers don't mean anything unless you have something to back them up with.
    The breed is already overbred thanks to several movies making the breed even more popular. A well bred Golden is going to cost you a lot more than $300. As the saying goes... sometimes you get what you pay for, And for a dime a dozen breed... you get the picture. [​IMG]
    Look into rescues as there are plenty of golden puppies in them thanks to people lacking something upstairs.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17747674

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17601189

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17533334

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17773900

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17707603

http://www.golden-rescue.org/adoptions/available_dogs.php?dog_master_id_select=985

http://www.homewardboundgoldens.org/available_goldens/available_goldens.htm

9. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    I found a pure bred Golden Retriever at our local animal shelter 8 years ago. I wanted a GR for years and when I found her I really was blessed by an angel. She was just about a year old, someone had abandoned her at a grooming kennel. When I brought her home she was still very much a puppy, and I worked with her for a year on training.
    I feel that the people that had her before me kept her in a crate all the time. She was hyper! But she learned very fast and was super willing to please. She is one of the most wonderful creatures in the world. I don't know what I would ever do without her. I paid 75.00 for her at the time which included her shots and spay. She has a microchip that was put in place by the shelter.
    Since I've had her the only problems she has had have been a few seizures in the past year. I have to really stay on top of her ear care because she gets infections in her right ear and has seizures if she gets an ear infection. I wish that they had not placed the microchip in her. I would prefer her not to have it, as I have read that they can cause tumors in some dogs. She is 9 years old now and she is totally my best friend. I have other dogs and animals but Lacie is very special to me. [​IMG]
    The reason I am sharing this, is to say you might like to find an older dog that has had some training. With so many people displace right now by a rough economy you might find a real jewel.
    I believe that rescued dogs KNOW that they are rescued and are so loyal to their owners.
    I wish you the best, and you are doing the right thing by following your instincts.
    Sincerest Wishes, Bunny [​IMG]

Also, I thought you might like to take a look at this link about the top 10 biting dogs in the US.
    The Golden was not on the list.
    http://www.petsdo.com/blog/top-ten-10-most-dangerous-dog-breeds

Additional information that is good for any dog owner to know may be found here:
    http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/danger.htm#statistics

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  10. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Dogs are just like any other animal bred for show (chickens too!). If you want one that kind of looks like it might be related to a Golden but nothing else, buy one for $300 from a newspaper. If you want one who not only looks but ACTS like a Golden, and you want the knowledge and support behind it, you need to go to a show breeder.

I would never pay $300 for a Golden. I can guarantee that what I'm buying is, well, sort of like a counterfeit $20 bill. Kind of looks right but nothing behind it. $300 actually isn't cheap for a dog like that, because it's really worth zero. I would either rescue a Golden (my first choice, always, if you don't need to have a purebred who behaves like or reproduces like a purebred), which means your $300 or so gets you a dog who's been spayed or neutered and healthy (i.e., you're really paying for the vet costs that go into the dog) or I'd pay $1500 or $2000 for a purebred, which is how much it costs to get one that belongs to the name.

Breeding dogs is one gigantic money pit, because each individual dog must prove him- or herself before we breed them. We spend an average of five to fifteen grand just getting a championship (that's entry fees, handling fees, and travel - doesn't count raising the dog, training, etc.), the field breeders spend even more putting their titles on the dogs, and then a couple grand for health testing before each litter. Stud fees are over a thousand now, c-sections are around $1600. When we ask $1500 for a puppy we're only stemming the losses, not making anything. That's why well-bred puppies are so expensive, and why "cheap" puppies are almost always an indication that the breeder is doing something very, very wrong.

It IS up to them, but if you can possibly encourage them to go to rescue, rather than encourage a bad breeder to do it again next year, the whole Golden world would cheer for you.

Joanna Kimball
    blacksheepcardigans.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by