1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Retriever "moved" a hen, now she's acting weird-thoughts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by franklinchickens, Feb 21, 2011.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We have a foster golden retriever who has been perfectly fine around the chickens but today picked up one of the hens and moved her out of the run into the yard and dropped her there. I can't see any puncture wounds or anything like that - just a bunch of slobber on her back. She seemed to be a bit in shock and was open mouth breathing on my daughter's lap for about 10 minutes. Now she's hiding under a shrub and doesn't want to come out (the dog is inside). I did tempt her out with a blueberry which she ate, then went right back under the shrub. She's walking fine and I can't see or feel any injuries.
    The question is: should I worry about this - just observe and keep the dog away - is this normal retriever behavior? Or is this something that has happened to others and not something to be concerned about?

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    of course it is normal retriever behavior...thats what theyre bred to do! [​IMG] fortunately they are also bred to be soft mouthed and to not damage the birds in any way, so hopefully your little girl is okay. maybe it just freaked her out a bit...

3. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Thanks @aubreynoramarie - that's what I hope for - she's still under the shrub squatting down and won't come out. I have to go out for a few hours and I'm worried she might not be ok.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:x2

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Just keep an eye on the little hen - probably just scared her to death, so she's a bit in shock. Just because the pooch is a gold. retriever doesn't necessarily mean a soft mouth, but it sounds like you lucked out and this one is. [​IMG] You'll still want to keep a close eye on the pooch too, just so it doesn't get in the habit of trying to "move" your birds that way...lol.

6. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    An update - Mimi (the chicken) seems to be fine if still a bit skittish after her encounter with the retriever. He's a really sweet dog but we've only had him about a week as a foster til he gets adopted. Who knows - he might have been used for duck hunting before being given up for adoption. It's not like he attacked her or shook her, just transported her from one place to another. Mimi is eating and walking around the yard just fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain or limping or anything. Just gave her some yogurt and she dug right in but she didn't come flying down the hill at me like she usually does. Not sure how long chickens remember things but hopefully she'll be back to her usual friendly personality soon.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Poor Mimi, what a fright! I don'tblame - she thought she was a goner.

8. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:My daughter thought so too - she was the one who witnessed it and came screaming in the house that Denny was carrying Mimi around the yard in his mouth! By the time I ran out, he had dropped her but I'm sure he gave her the biggest fright she'd ever had. Us too, chicken-wise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by