Golden sebright having breathing difficulties? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scavanagh, Oct 29, 2011.

1. scavanagh

scavanagh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Central Ma
    Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with this! I have a 4 month old golden sebright who I noticed was acting funny today. I let the chickens out of the coop today and she walked across the yard and just laid down. A little while later she got up and walked back towards the coop and just laid down again. This little spitfire NEVER sits still so it was very strange to see her like this. I thought it might have to do with her being cold - it is 33 degrees and snowing here. I was able to walk right over and pick her up which I am never able to do either. she tried to get up but started stumbeling around with one wing out slightly. I brought her inside to warm her up to see if that helped but she is now in a box in my livingroom and still acting the same. She wont stand up, has one wing out slightly and keeps opening her mouth and doing something that looks like stretching her neck. Here is a video of it to help

I am very new to this whole chicken thing so any advise you could give would be appreciated!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor chicken. now that she is inside watch how she is eating and drinking. Was she vaccinated for Marecks disease as far as you know? This might be a helpful link to figure out if it could be a respiratory disease: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. scavanagh

Apr 17, 2011
    Central Ma
    Thanks. I will take a look at those links. She is eating and drinking fine but not getting up to do either just laying there :-(

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Please keep us updated on how she is.... [​IMG]

6. scavanagh

Apr 17, 2011
    Central Ma
    After reading about it it does look a lot like Mareks:hit . She has only gotten worse since yesterday. She is pretty much paralyzed- can stand or move and now really can't even pick her head up. I heard her thrashing around a lot in the middle of the night trying. She will still eat and drink if I keep moving her back to the food and water. What a horrible thing to watch. I feel so horrible not being able to do anything about it. Should I do anything about the rest of the chickens? I've read that it was really contagious but is there anything I should do to try to prevent it from spreading(aside from cleaning- which I did yesterday) or is it too late by this point?

7. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Maereks, Botulism, and E.coli will all present that way.. odds are you will loose the bird there is not much that be done with any of those three possibilities.

8. scavanagh

Apr 17, 2011
    Central Ma
    Good to know. I hadn't read about any of those other possibilities. What about the spread to the other chickens with any of them? Is there anything to do? I figured I was going to lose her- I was amazed to see she was still alive when I got up this morning. Poor thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by