Golden Sebright roo + sicilian buttercup hen

Joev1973

Songster
May 1, 2019
Hohenwald Tennessee
My Coop
My Coop
Hello can someone explain something to me? I hope this forum is the right one for my questions.

I have a breeding paid of golden sebrights in their own coop. I have a Sicilian buttercup who was getting bullied in my main coop so i put her in with the sebrights.

My sebright hen has not laid any eggs yet. I dont know why shes almost a year old. My buttercup lays 1 white egg daily. A few weeks ago I caught the sebright rooster breeding the buttercup. I took 5 of her eggs and put them in our incubator. I candled the eggs and all 5 have life in them.

So my question is...what traits do the fathers give to the chicks?

Will the chicks born be tiny like the father or bigger like the mother? What can I expect from these chicks?

Im sure they will be cute just wondering how this works with 2 different breeds? Thanks to anyone who cares to explain.

20200325_161026.jpg
20200325_161029.jpg
20200330_193923.jpg

I'm not an expert! I'm only commenting on my own experience!

Cheek fluff, feathered feet, comb shape, color pattern, and stature can all be inherited from the rooster. One of my roosters is a Seabright mixed with an Americana and, yes, he's smaller, but the small gene passed on to his half-Orpington daughter and she's even smaller than him! So some genes can also skip, too!

They'll probably be somewhere between the height of the two of them. I can't exactly tell who will have the dominant gene, but even so, I'd still assume they'd be a mix of their heights.

The chicks might even inherit some personality traits/behaviors from their parents. Maybe they're very alert, or they're more skittish. Some of my chicks look exactly like their dad but with different coloring.

I hope this was able to help!

Well today is the day. I woke up to a chick in the incubator, i will take another picture after he fluffs up dry. More chicks to follow as 2 more eggs are pipped & the other 2 showed life during every candle so expecting 5 total.

Again the father can only be a golden sebright rooster & the mother a buttercup or buff polish. Pretty sure its the buttercup
20200414_121143.jpg

So far only 1 hatched. All 4 remaining eggs are pipped amd i can hear them working to get out. The early bird is dry now so here are some pics. If one comes out different i will post it. Again a possibility one of the eggs came from a polish.
20200414_192943.jpg
20200414_192934.jpg

Back
Top Bottom