Golden sex link, 14wks bit by opossum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karen&mark, Jun 26, 2010.

1. karen&mark

karen&mark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    Last wednesday a rotton opossum entered our hen house by a mistakenly unsecured (never again!!) opening and bit our lovely Iris in the head. She has bite marks near her ears and her left eye remains closed, but not swollen or seeping. I had antibiotic eye drops and have put a drop on the eye lid several times a day hoping some would get in. I mixed her some aspirin water yesterday (thank you so much for the recipe!) she is drinking it and taking water freely this morning. She is also eating a little and comes to me when I enter the room. She seems much more comfortable this morning and I am so relieved! Will her sisters ( 3 additional golden sex links) peck at her eye or pick on her if she is blind in one eye? They have all be best buddies from the beginning, but she is now in the "infirmary" until healed and I am planning on a gradual re-entry to the flock when she is better, but worried they will notice a disability.
    I am so greatful for this forum and all the info I have been able to find these last few days!!! this is our first little flock

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    It's hard to say how the other hens will react to her when you put her back in with them. Every flock is different and every hen is different.

I had a hen who was attacked by a coyote and was in the house for about a week. She didn't have any problems with her reintegration. She wasn't completely healed in a week's time. (Obviously.) It didn't seem that any of the others noticed or cared that she was a bit slow on the draw.

I did make sure to put her back outside when I had plenty of time to spend out there myself, just to make sure that everything would go well. That's the best advice I can give you. Just keep an eye on her when the time comes to reintegrate her. Hopefully it will work out just fine.

3. karen&mark

karen&mark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    I am happy to report Lovely Iris is drinking asprin water freely, eating a little, coming to greet me when I enter the room and this morning she opened the injured eye for a few seconds. I can't tell if she has sight in that eye, but I am so encouraged by her improvement and so grateful for all the information I got here in the forum. Will try to ease her back into the flock this Friday when I am home all day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by