Golden Sex link chick, pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RusicHousewife, Mar 23, 2016.

1. RusicHousewife

RusicHousewife Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    I got this Golden Sex Link pullet at a day old along with 3 others of different breeds. The day I brought her home, I wing sexed them all, all other chicks wings showed characteristics of being girls except my GSL who had wing feathers that were more in line. Although, I could faintly make out a few shorter wing feathers. Attached is a photo of her on day 1 and other photos of her now (all chicks will be 2 wks old tomorrow) Notice all the others have fuller wing and tail feathers, but the GSL still has just fuzz for a tail. I had read somewhere that the sex links being hybrid breeds can have slower feather production, is this true? The one thing that gives me a little hope that it's a "she" is the red in her down. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    At a day old
    [​IMG]
    It's the one to the far right, 2 wks old.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a closer up of her coloring.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. RusicHousewife

Mar 15, 2012
    I edited with photos, sorry they weren't there before (it didn't like me uploading from my mobile device)

3. hungry hunter

hungry hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    the Heart of Texas
    Looks like a pullet to me. I have 4 that are about 3 weeks old and they look very similar.

A male GSL will be very pale yellow, almost white. The girls should have 2 darker "stripes" down their backs as new chicks. I would assume that yours just has more red on her back than just the stripes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4. RusicHousewife

Mar 15, 2012
    Thanks Hungry Hunter, that makes me feel better! Have your 3 week old GSL's ben having slower wing/tail fearher growth as well?

And yea, when looking at photos online, I've noticed mine doesn't have the 2 strips like the others, which I thought was kind of interesting.

5. hungry hunter

hungry hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    the Heart of Texas
    They seem to be growing about the same as my Buff Orpingtons.

It's probably just an individual chick thing that your's is a little slower.

I did notice that one of my girls is starting to get some brown/red feathers on her shoulders.

Here's a pic of my chicks all tuckered out from playing outside. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6. RusicHousewife

Mar 15, 2012
    Yea, that musy be what is happening. I have noticed that she was the smaller/ weaker seeming chick fom the start. I wobde if she is just maturing at a slowet rate thab the rest. Which is totally ok with me. Just as long as she's a girl! Haha!!

Your little ones look to be coming along very nice! How fun that they got to play outside during the day. :)

7. Birdgirl99

Birdgirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Tampa Florida
    I had 3 GSL pullet chicks that I also got at 1 day old almost a year ago, I have pics of them at the same age so i'll show them to you since they were all girls (I know because I still have them and they all lay 2 eggs a day!) Pics went backwards, first one is them at about 3 months, next 4 are them at 2/3 weeks, and the last 3 are within a few days after I got them. Dates are wrong. I sent you the one of them older so you can use this in the future when your little one gets to be their age. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RusicHousewife

Mar 15, 2012
    Birdgirl99, thank you so much! This gives me hope!! I am crossing my fingers that within this next week (as she gets closer to 3 wks old) that she grows a little tail like your girls have in their 2/3 wk photos!! ;) In the photos of when you brought yours home, they look very similar to the coloring of how mine looked coming home, too!

9. Birdgirl99

Birdgirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Tampa Florida
    'They should grow their little tails soon too,I LOVE their little tails when they first start to grow in! :) And yours looks pretty female to me, Ill also have my fingers crossed for you! If she was a male then she'd probably be stockier then the others & get a much bigger comb & wattles very fast, and they would be really dark. But i'm comparing that to a Rhode Island red so GSL may be different. Although I heard that GLS are a cross between a Rhode Island Red male & a Rhode Island white female, so they're probably not too far off. Although I may be wrong about that, I heard it from a hatcheries website so... May be right or wrong on it. :)

Hoping a girl for you!!! :D

10. RusicHousewife

Mar 15, 2012
    Thanks for crossing yours aling with me! That was alother thing that sort of stood out to me, she just "looks" like a female. I know that's not an accurate way to sex yhem, but she has remained to be the smallest pullet, smaller feet, ect. And like you said, no wattles or comb growing, so those are good signs, too! I also was trying to find what the breeds were and I found something saying a Rhode Island father, and a Delaware mother for GSL? But yours may be righ since you found it from the hatcherie's website! I've noticed thay there isn't much info out there on our little GSL!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by