1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Sex-link chick

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by siz8003, Mar 25, 2008.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    can someone tell me how to tell girls from boys? RIR dad with White rock momma

2. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG]

3. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Are you talking about Golden Comets? If so then the pullets are red&white, roosters are white..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I believe the males will have either a white dot on their head, or will be entirely white. The females will have no dot? Gosh, I just don't know on the GSL. But, with all other sex links, the males are the ones with the white dots on the top of the head.

5. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    males are pure white, females are red and white, mostly red.

6. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I will post some pics when they are all out and fluffy

7. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    MS9325 is right. Males are white, pullets will be more redish in color. There is an obvious difference in them and anyone can tell the cockrels from the pullets if you have one of each sex next to each other. I'll post a link to Cackle's golden comet's page. You can see how the male vs. female chicks look there.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/goldencometpage.html

However, I just noticed you said a rir and rock cross, this does not make a sex link chick that I'm aware of. Golden's are made from RIR crossed with Rhode Island Whites.

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Any female with the silver gene can be used to make a Gold or Red sex-link. Including White Rocks. [​IMG]

9. siz8003

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by