Golden sex link gone broody... Maybe

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ShaylaFox, Aug 8, 2014.

1. ShaylaFox

ShaylaFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2014
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I am so existed one of my Golden sex link hens might be broody!!! [​IMG] I waited as long as I could before I went and bought an incubator (50$) and a broody hen(treated a chick with sister). I had 15+ eggs under her at one time. To try to get her to go broody. I know it has to happen naturally but I really wanted some chicks that is why I bought and incubator. I am just so happy golden sex links are not known to ever go broody.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Oh yes! She looks broody! Are you going to let her hatch?

Have fun!

3. ShaylaFox

Jul 5, 2014
    Arkansas
    Absolutely!!! [​IMG]

4. ShaylaFox

Jul 5, 2014
    Arkansas
    How would I encourage her to stay broody? Leave her alone?

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. ShaylaFox

Jul 5, 2014
    Arkansas
    Thanks that was an awesome article

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It is very unusual for any Sex Links, Red or Black, to go broody. You have a rare opportunity here. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

8. ShaylaFox

Jul 5, 2014
    Arkansas
    I am going to take advantage of your knowledge [​IMG]. She is allowed to free range, along with 3 other GSL hens, 1 roo, and 5 young chicks, and 1 weird hen.
    How long should I wait until I add more eggs? She had 3 real and fertile eggs and 3 fake. I have about 22 saved up because a woman wants about 20 chicks and sometimes there are deaths. I was planning on hooking up the incubator.
    How many eggs should I put under her?
    Should I move her?
    I have added chicks before to the flock at about 2 1/2 months old and the hens did very little harm to them. I hatched them out if an incubator and the hens could see them all their life.
    Should I let her raise them with the others?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would go ahead and add the eggs. Remove the fake eggs so that all the eggs she is sitting on are real. I would limit the number of eggs under her from about 10 to 12. She needs to be able to cover all the eggs with her body. I would leave her where she is until the eggs hatch, then I would move her and her chicks into their own separate enclosure for the protection of the chicks while she raises them. If you can put them in an enclosure where your other chickens can see them, it will help your flock get use to them while she is raising them.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Most excellent advice from Michael. Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by