Golden Sex-Link Help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lamaremybabies, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Hello!

I have 4 Golden Sex-Links and was wondering if there are any traits that the roo's have when they are young? I have one that is quite a bit lighter then the other 3 and I know that sometimes the chicks with lighter fuzz/feathers are roosters. I'm just curious because I'm a little bit of a weirdo and want a rooster, but I got my chicks from my local TSC.
    Thanks for the help :)

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Gold sexlinks are sexable by color. Unfortunately, TSC frequently orders these easily sexable chicks as straight run. It's easy to spot the boys. They are yellow. The pullets are golden. As they feather in, females feather in with red/gold and some white. Males feather in white and then get some red or gold as they mature.

3. Lamaremybabies

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Actually they got them and they are supposed to be sexed.. I just am thinking that one of mine might not fit the label of pullet. they are only a week old but they are starting to feather and one not only has lighter fuzz then the others but also has lighter feathers. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    TSC frequently tells customers that the chicks are all sexed pullets, when they are actually straight run. Every spring/summer there are at least 20 posts about 'sexed' pullets purchased from a TSC ending up being either all cockerels or at least half cockerels.

5. Lamaremybabies

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Wow. That's crazy. I was actually just looking though and I am now thinking that it is just a lighter pullet because I was reading that the pullets will have long wings with a second layer of shorter feathers on top which all four do. So I don't know.

6. BossHawg

BossHawg New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    The Sticks of East Texas
    All the information I have collected and observed on golden sex links indicate that the males are white/silver. This is the first I have heard of the males being yellow. If true (yellow), then all my chicks are males. That would be about right...go figure!

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I was talking about their chick down. Male chick down is pale yellow, female chick down is golden. When they feather in, males are white/silver.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  8. Lamaremybabies

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    [​IMG]
    @junebuggena
    Here's the chick I was talking about. It still is kind of golden but there are a few areas that are like a creamy white color also the tale feathers are coming in facing upward like a too and this is the smallest of the four golden's.
    What do ya think?

9. Lamaremybabies

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Lol! Hopefully not.

[​IMG]

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That chick is golden, like a female. It's primary feathers and tail feathers are white, which is normal. Look at the feathers coming in on the shoulder. Those are golden, which means it's 100% for sure female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by