Golden sex link laying purple eggs..?

Rcantu1204

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2019
Yelm, wa
Our 17 week old golden sex link started laying last week and shes laying purple eggs. Has anyone else had this happen?? I thought maybe it was the bloom on them, but after boiling one egg and trying to rub off the purple, as soon as the egg dried, it was purple again. So pretty ☺️

Also... the chicken in the picture is not the sex link, shes a buff orpington that pushed her way into the nesting box.
received_666030193860675.jpeg
received_1382679751869982.jpeg

Last edited:
I think it actually is a sex-link, they can look somewhat similar in coloring sometimes. If the whole body was visible I think it would look less like an orpington. Sex-links are not as heavy, and their feather quality tends to be a bit less quality. Their color can vary from lighter to darker also, mine currently are about that same color as the one in the picture. I have some that are very similar. And some of them lay similar colored eggs, it's just a variety of brown. I get some that look more pink sometimes too.
A true Rhode Island Red will be a darker mahogany color. Many RIR's sold are hatchery quality and not as dark and many production reds are sold as RIR's and are not as dark. So unless you buy directly from a breeder, you don't really know for sure, and the lineage is always a question (not to mention miss-labeled chicks and those put in the wrong bin).
To the OP, I hope you are taking care of that cut on your hand!! Ouch!

Back
Top Bottom