Golden Sex Link? Something else? Roo or....?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suburban farm girl, Aug 4, 2008.

1. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    We were told this chick was a golden sex link. We purchased her at a feed store where they normally request only females. So I didn't ask if that was the case with this batch...

"She" looked like a blonde bombshell from the 30's when we got her at one day old - almost white blonde feathers - the first picture doesn't show that - I think the light in our brooder distorted the color and she looks yellow in the picture rather than bleach blonde.

We named "her" Billina. She hasn't feathered as quickly as the rest of the chicks we got that same day - but she is the only one of her breed - whatever that is - that we chose, so slower feathering could maybe be breed rather than gender related...? [​IMG] Billina has stayed about the same size as the others her age. In fact, I think our 3 easter egg chicks are gaining on her.

Billina is very friendly - and has become my favorite. I resigned myself to Billina actually being Bill until I read a post about white leghorns....

And then I noticed that Billina is no longer pure white. "She" now has some darker feathers coming in. I included some pictures to show that in the group taken today at 4.5 weeks.

I have so enjoyed looking at the pictures that others posted and playing "guess that chicken" that I decided to share mine here and see what y'all think.

What breed do you think Billina is? What gender? Here is a link to pictures of "her":

http://gallery.me.com/jeri888#100041&bgcolor=black&view=grid

I'm looking forward to your responses!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Billina is a male....

3. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I'm no help sorry. I think its nice you've taken so many photos of 'her' though.

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I have two girls like that. They were suposed to be cochins. [​IMG] Gotta love the feed store. I am 99% sure they are buff rocks or poor colored white rocks. They are 17 weeks now, and "dirty" white.

ETA Yep, that's a roo!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  5. suburban farm girl

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:If Billina is a GSL I'd say yes, a male. I've probably read too many posts though [​IMG] and now have myself confused. What breed is Billina? Is Billina even a chicken? :eek: (just kidding)

BTW - what clues tell you Billina is a male?

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The clues that you are looking for is the bright red/orange comb and wattles at 4 1/2 wks. of age. Pullets don't get those bright red combs and wattles that young. Sorry! I also can't help you with the breed. Not sure there.

7. suburban farm girl

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:Sigh....

I was hoping. I thought maybe the white feathers made the rosy pink color [​IMG] look brighter than it really is.

8. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:Thats exactly what male red sex links do...At around 4 or 5 weeks they start to get red feathers on their shoulders

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Billina is a red sex-link roo. McMurray threw 8 in my first order as packing peanuts. They feathered out quickly, grew large combs quickly, and at a few weeks old started throwing in some red feathers in their wings and neck. They were butcher-size at 12 weeks.

10. suburban farm girl

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:And the really funny part in this is that Billina is named after a talking chicken in one of the Wizard of Oz stories. In the story Billina is a yellow hen, who was originally named Bill, until they realized He was a She.

So, even though I chose our one yellow chick to name Billina, She is not only a HE, but is a RED sex link, not a golden. (No chance it's a golden sex link?) And I guess, in a total reversal of the story, Billina will be changed to Bill... [​IMG][​IMG]:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by