1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden sex link, wing injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by confusedturtle, Jun 24, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    This is my first chicken injury so Im not 100% sure what I need to do and what might make things worse. Today I bought a golden sex link (maybe 2 weeks old) and a black sex link (about 3 wks) both pullets. The drive was an hour long and when we got home I had to go out and drop off one of our roo's and then set up their temp brooder when i got home. They were in the box for close to 2 hours. The BSL pecked at the GSL and the GSL's wing is bleeding. Not bad but it is bloody. I have seperated the 2 for now and am planning to clean the pecked wing with some peroxide and maybe put some neosporin on the pecked place. What do you think, what else should I do? I will post a pic of Goldies wing, any advice is greatly appreciated [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't seem to hurt her, she is still eating & drinking and stuff but I dont want it to get infected so I have her in a box in the house until I find out what to do. Should I put her back in with the BSL (I dont want to!) into their temporary brooder by our coop/run or keep her inside and keep an eye on her? also what should I do for her injury?]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I wouldn't put her back with your BSL till she is healing or healed it will just happen again, most likely the stress brought it on. If you can get some Blue-kote spray the wound with it. It will make it purple [and anything else it touches] but it works great for healing and disguise. after you spray the wound try putting them together, they will be less stressed if able to have a buddy, but watch closely that the BSL isn't still messing with the wing. It should heal without any problems. Let us know how they are doing.

3. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I wouldn't put her back with your BSL till she is healing or healed it will just happen again, most likely the stress brought it on. If you can get some Blue-kote spray the wound with it. It will make it purple [and anything else it touches] but it works great for healing and disguise. after you spray the wound try putting them together, they will be less stressed if able to have a buddy, but watch closely that the BSL isn't still messing with the wing. It should heal without any problems. Let us know how they are doing.

I keep seeing the spray mentioned but not the powder just wondering is the powder not as effective? http://www.meyerhatchery.com/produc...pplies&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT_ID = 'BKOZ'

4. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I dont have any of the spray but I will check my feed store tomorrow. I called the feed store I bought them from and she said to clean the wound and put some antibiotic ointment on it, coat it with the stuff. She said it would taste nasty and when the BSL tried to peck at it would hate the taste and not do it again. I also decided to sit out there for over an hour with a little squirt bottle filled with cold water, every time the BSL tried to peck my lil GSL I squirted it in the face. It eventually got the hint and has since left the GSL alone. I did the same when I integrated my BO mixes in with my RSL's and it fixed the pecking quick. I did it yesterday when my roo's were fighting and they stopped in their tracks and left eachother alone [​IMG] I know I need to let them settle the pecking order out on their own, but I didnt want anyone to get hurt.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

I keep seeing the spray mentioned but not the powder just wondering is the powder not as effective? http://www.meyerhatchery.com/produc...pplies&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT_ID = 'BKOZ'

It probably is as good, but don't know if it will last as long, and way to go with the spray bottle. yes they will work out the the pecking order as they settle in but right now you are doing the right thing by not letting the BSL peck the GSL.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  6. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Thank you, I was worried that by spraying them I was hurting the pecking order stuff but I dont want any of my lil chickies to get hurt. I plan to do the same when I integrate them in with my bigger flock. It seems to be the feared method of punishment in my house for cats on the countertop, dogs that go crazy when the mail man comes and now chickens that peck.....wonder if it'll work on hubby and the kids [​IMG] maybe not but it would be fun [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by