Golden Sex Link with large fluid pockets

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kjimenez, Aug 2, 2013.

1. kjimenez

kjimenez Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    I have a golden sex link that is 4 months old. She has a huge chest that appears to be filled with fluid on both sides. Has anyone experienced anything like this? She does not appear sick in any way. Clear eyes. Eats and drinks. Not sure what I should do.

2. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Is it her crop?

3. RodP

RodP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Loris, S.C.
    I have a 19 day old buff that has the same issue, she acts like nothing is wrong, but the "fluid bubble" on her breast is getting bigger and bigger every day What can I do?????

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    kjiminez, can you take a picture? There is a condition called subqutaneous emphysema, which is a leaking air sac under the skin, usually the result of an injury. It it doesn't become reabsorbed, you can stick a small needle in it carefully, and pull air out with a syringe. Try to be sure that this is what you are dealing with--make sure it is air and not fluid. Here is a link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    RodP, you may just have a full crop. Check it first thing in the morning to make sure it is full. If not you may have sour crop.

6. RodP

RodP Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Loris, S.C.
    Eggcessive, the big "bubble" on her chest is there all the time. If it is "sour crop" what can be done, and is it fatal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by