1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Sexlink laying from roost and SOFT eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Isaiahallen, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Isaiahallen

Isaiahallen New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    I have a very mixed group of 10 hens. Three each of Rhode Island Reds, Black Orps and Delaware Pullet. We have One Golden sexlink (don't ask, two of the three turned out to be Roosters....they went bye bye).

We got them all the same age in early March...they started laying in mid July....we have been getting 7-9 eggs a day since mid August.....happy about that.

Tonight my husband went to shut them in the coop and the Golden was on the perch and had dropped TWO eggs...one with NO shell and one with a VERY soft, see through shell....you can see a membrain but very VERY thin shell.....the no shell one broke, the soft did not.....

Why would this start 6 weeks after she would get laying, and is it common for them to have an OOppppssss at night?

We also have a RIR that is a MAJOR brooder....how do we get her to stop brooding....she is almost a pound lighter than the others since she won't feed as much during the day. I have been taking her out of the layer box 5-8 times per day, moving her about 100 feet away and within 20 mintutes she want to sit again.....our production is dropped to about 6 eggs per day right now, so we don't think she is laying anymore and others are starting to slow....HELP!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well, a broody hen doesn't lay so your broody girl wouldn't be laying. To break a really stubborn broody you put her in a wire bottomed crate or cage of some kind with no bedding that is propped off the ground so air flows under her. You do this for a couple of days and then you can let her out and if she tries to brood again you put her right back for a longer time and repeat until you can break her. Either that or you just have to be patient and wait it out and she'll stop eventually on her own. Chickens also slow down laying during cooler weather and some stop altogether during the winter. They also stop when they're molting, and this is about the right time of year for that to start. That could explain your slowdown. As far as the weird eggs it can happen from time to time. Offering oyster shell free choice helps them build strong shells and can help prevent this problem. As long as she doesn't keep laying funny eggs I would say she's fine.

Also, :welcome! Also, I can't believe you ended up with sex linked roosters! They're a different color at birth so it's impossible to sex them wrong! I hope you contacted the hatchery or breeder you got them from about that. I'd be mad :mad:

3. Isaiahallen

Isaiahallen New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    We were not mad perse about the roosters, they were tasty. BUT when I got them, they were all the same color and then the hen stayed about the same color and the boys deff changed!

4. kiddobear39

kiddobear39 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    Hello my name is Kim if you don't mind me asking you wehat part of upstate NY do you live. Cause I also live in upstate NY I live in Poland it's not far for utica.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by