golden sexlinks and araucanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by beckysaur, Oct 16, 2008.

1. beckysaur

beckysaur Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    hi.
    I am thinking about getting a three chicks, including a buff orpington, an araucana and a golden sexlink. The buff orpingtons seem to have have nice calm personalities. Anyone have thoughts on the araucana, or especially on golden sexlinks? I haven't found much on the sexlinks' personalities, but maybe that's because they vary so much?
    Thank you!
    becky

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are you planning to get your "araucana" from a hatchery or a breeder? The reason I ask is they are 2 different breeds, so you will get different responses depending on which you're getting.

Jody

3. beckysaur

beckysaur Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    the chicks would all be from the local feed store. I don't know where they get them though.

4. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Portland?! I live in Vancouver! howdy neighbor! too bad you are only allowed 3... they are addictive. I have black sexlinks, golden sexlinks, RIR and one araucana. PPl love the green eggs! my next batch will be all sexlinks. the black ones are beautiful in the sun. the Araucana and the golden sexlinks are both my favorites. the sexlink lays a nice sized brown egg every day. the Araucana probably 5 a week. not every day. they both have quiet inquisitive personalities. I like the RIR but they are more flighty and not as personable. their eggs are kinda on the small size. one of my sexlinks has layed a 3.1 oz egg! twice!! usually all of her larger eggs are double yolkers. I love sexlinks. my dog loves my araucana Cleo here is a link to my Roscoe has a girl friend... kinda funny...

Connie

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  5. Kermit

Kermit Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    Oregon
    Quote:

6. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Howdy neighbor! so how many chickens can you have in Clackamas?

my dog and that chicken are hilarious he would do that all day...

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    We have had really good luck with the golden sex-links. They are friendly and very curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by