golden sexlinks and butcher time.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by spamanon, Jul 18, 2008.

1. spamanon

spamanon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    We are raising golden sexlinks, our first attempt at this. They are three months old, so we decided to butcher one to see how it would go, and how much meat we were getting. Dressed out he weighed 2.5 lbs. This seems really light (I guess his feathers made him look bigger!) Does anyone here have a recommendation for how much longer to wait? What about weighing them BEFORE butchering? How much should they weigh "on the hoof?" We got a straight run and the hens aren't laying yet. Thanks for any advice!

2. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I just butchered my buff orp roo and he was about 4 months. His breast was pretty bare but his legs were about 2 pounds each. And they were absolutely delicious! I don't think I'll do another batch of cornish x because they are such an ugly, dumb chicken. Anyway, hope this helps. Also, rule of thumb of live weight vs. butcher weight is 2/3. So a 6 pound live chicken will yield about 4 pounds cleaned.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  3. spamanon

spamanon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    2 pound legs! Wow, I am jealous. We are going to just butcher the rest today and cut our losses. I guess these guys just have a low conversion ratio.
    I thought they would get bigger than 2.5 lbs in 3 months.[​IMG] Live and learn. Next time we are going for a faster growing bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by