1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Wyandotte chick: any guess on gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HJECG, Feb 15, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    [​IMG][​IMG]This is "Scout," a Golden Wyandotte chick of about 3-5 weeks. He/she is in the middle of a brutal looking molt, transitioning her from baby down to real fathers. He/she looks pretty rough right now, but eating well and acting healthy. Any guesses on gender from these photos?

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of his/her back with the new feathers coming in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    It's early to tell, but nothing looks like a boy yet.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    There's quite a bit of difference between 3 week development and 5 week development....so if this is a 3 week old chick, I'm going to say likely rooster as the comb already has pink in it and have moved to rose development.

If that is a 5 week old chick, then watch the comb...a rooster's will begin to get redder and bigger but a precocious girl will hang at that blush/yellow and just the start of the rose for weeks.

But I'm leaning towards rooster for yours because that looks closer to a 3 week old chick to me with general body development and feathering.

My guess.
    Lady of McCamley

4. Flat Rock farm

Flat Rock farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    Branchton, ON Canada
    I raised Wyandottes for quite a few years. Hard to tell when they are young, but by the looks of the comb I would guess cockerel.
    They are usually wider than the girls, plus this one is quite red/pink.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Too young to say for sure, but I'm leaning toward cockerel, myself.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    X2.

Looks fairly male but as a standalone to judge by it's harder to tell.

Since development occurs at different rates based on family line, breed, environment, feed, and other husbandry factors, the best way to get a good idea of its rate of development would be to compare it with its clutchmates.

7. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    I'd say cockerel. Even though all breeds are different, I had a white leghorn and partridge cochin cockerel who both looked pretty rough while the females looked more put together. The comb is quite pink. I think males also tend to have a certain birdy face and big eyes when young and I'd say yours has it. Observe the behavior too. And if you have females of the same breed then Scout might be a boy.

8. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Thanks so much everyone. I am inclined to agree that Scout is a fella, meaning that unfortunately, he's headed to a home outside the city limits where roosters are allowed

9. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Even though I'm saying rooster, wait a little bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by