Golden Wyndotte hen or too?

broncosinvegas

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2017

I'm new to having chickens and this site. I know there are lots of posts with people who have far more experience than I do, but I have two Golden Wyndotte's who have different colors on their combs. Both were purchased from a local feed store, are about 4 weeks old and are supposed to by pullets. However, I'm starting to think that the one with the redder comb is a roo?

Can you take a photo of the bird in a natural, standing position? Is the comb always a little brighter or is it mostly when the chick has exerted itself (ie been startled, you tried to catch it, etc)?

From my trio from last year, roosters will get muddy on the neck and shoulders in coloration and the pullets will have defined lacing. I think you need to wait a bit longer. It's comb is wider and more defined so I would be suspicious too. Wyandotte are harder to tell by the combs as pullets get pink earlier than other breeds.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
! I'd say it could go either way. Wyandottes are hard to determine gender with comb size because they have rose combs, unlike the standard single comb (this making it harder to make a size comparison - especially with young birds). The comb and wattles are reddening a bit, but it could just be your pullet growing up. So yeah! We'll hope it's a girl, but it could go either way.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom