1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goldfinch lost half a wing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by omelette'smom, Apr 5, 2009.

1. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    My cat decided to bring me a present but this time it is very much alive! We put the gold finch in an old gerbil cage and are waiting to see what will happen. The flight feathers are ripped out on one side but other than that it's fine. It may die of shock anyway. My question would be...how long would it take to grow back flight feathers? I can't just let it go! Any ideas?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If it survives the shock you need to make shure its in a quiet place with food and water avalible and low perches and cover on the floor . Im not shure how long it will take
    GOod luck

3. omelette'smom

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm getting the kids ready for school and have been informed that she is alive. Her name is twittles-looks like we'll be keeping her a bit!! I'm thinking i can google up something about recovery of her wing. Thanks

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
  5. omelette'smom

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    She doesn't look to be missing any wing itself other than the inner feathers. Maybe with luck it will grow them as fast as our chickens moult! That poor chicken!! I hope she's still doing good!

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    from what i've read she's been laying eggs and doing regular chicken things [​IMG]

anyhow, you finch should be just fine. jsut give the cat a good spray or water whenever you catch him/her near the cage. i LOVE cats, but sometimes they need a good spray.

7. omelette'smom

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    For those that ever rescue a small bird.....a rescue center e-mailed me that wing feathers grow back in 2 weeks. She is very sweet. We now have 5 cages, two fish tanks, and a terrarium. My dh said any more vermin and I go out with the chickens!![​IMG]

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    ask him if you get rid of the kids if you can get more pets

9. omelette'smom

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You know it is sad 'cause everytime I do get rid of them.......someone always brings them back!![​IMG]

10. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    i know i try to get rid siblings all the time noone wants them even ddroping them of on door steps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by