Goldfish not acting right...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickieBooBoo, Oct 31, 2010.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have an 18 gallon aquarium with 2 Goldfish, common and a fantail. They are about 1 1/2 years old now (or since I got them from the petstore) The tank used to get REALLY green all the time, not the plants and rocks just the water. We finally figured out that is was the florestent light on top acting like sunlight and causing the algea to grow. I cleaned the entire tank and let it run for a day, then put the fish back in. It has stayed really clean (thank God) and the fish were fine until about a week ago. When I feed them they swim out up to get their food and dart around like happy little fish. But the rest of the day they sit on the bottom together, not moving, just sitting there. I have never had a fish do that before... Am I doing something wrong? They are eating Omega One freeze dried Tubifex Worms

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have noticed my goldfish do that when it is dark, and after I turn my light on for about 5 minutes they start swimming around again. They also stop moving when their airorator (spelling?)stops working. Hope you get this figured out! [​IMG]

3. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:The light on top of the aquarium isnt on anymore because it made everything green so it is a bit darker then normal. The window is open all the time though

4. ladycrotalus

ladycrotalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    Green water is caused by a single celled algae. It has multiple causes. Your florescent light would only be a problem if it was on longer then 8-12 hours.
    Overcrowding, overfeeding, not enough tank maintenance, and phosphates in the water source are the other more common causes that i deal with in customers.

You never ever want to clean the whole tank. In fact you should never drain the water more then 50%. When you do, it wipes out all of the nitrifying bacteria and causes another cycling process. The fish have to endure a spike in ammonia, and a spike in nitrites. Both can be deadly. I'm thinking your goldfish are acting strange due to poor water quality. 2 goldfish in an 18 gallon is a bit over stocked. You should have 20 gallons for the first goldfish and an additional 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. That's just the general rule, honestly i believe goldfish should be kept in larger aquariums since they grow 8-14". For your bio-load i suggest 30% partial water changes weekly. Smaller frequent water changes regularly are healthier on the fish then larger infrequent water changes since the water parameters change over time of not cleaning the water. What you need to remove are the nitrates (dissolved organics) which are clear lookin. So clarity does not equal cleanliness.

So you test your water? If so what are your water parameters? (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, kh, gh) If not, you should. Most pet stores will test it for free.
    A healthy aquarium parameters should read ammonia -0ppm, nitrites -0ppm, nitrates- under 25ppm, ph- whatever is normal in your area.

5. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    You should never fully clean a tank. Goldfish are extremely dirty fish. Algae needs nutrients to grow. Since your tank grew green water so well you probably had a lot of nitrates and/or phosphates. Since your fish are acting lethargic I would guess that your ammonia and/or nitrites are high since you cleaned the full tank and killed off the bacteria that convert them to nitrate.

If you have a dechlorinator that binds ammonia (like Prime by Seachem) you could add this daily to prevent the ammonia from affecting the fish. An interesting thing to note is that if your pH is at or below 7.0 than all the ammonia will exist in a form called ammonium. Ammonium does not harm fish. Now if your pH is above 7.0 than you really need to get an ammonia binder like prime, ammo-lock, or amquel. To help prevent nitrite poisoning I recommend that you add some non-iodized salt to your aquarium. You will want to add up to a half ounce of salt per gallon of water.

Good luck!

6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Quote:these are fan tail.. they don't get that big... the biggest i've had was about the size of a tennis ball around, maybe 4-5 inches lip to fin tip. So the tank size is probably fine, he should just do frequent water changes and get a water test kit to adjust levels in the tank.

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    rule of thumb: 1 inch of fish = 1 gallon of water. so if you have 2 goldfish that are 5 inches long each that means they need 10 gallons of water. since you said that they are in an 18 gallon, you have 8 gallons to play with. goldfish flakes might be a better food for your goldfish. i would add a pleco (agae eater) to the tank after testing the water.

8. ladycrotalus

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    these are fan tail.. they don't get that big... the biggest i've had was about the size of a tennis ball around, maybe 4-5 inches lip to fin tip. So the tank size is probably fine, he should just do frequent water changes and get a water test kit to adjust levels in the tank.

The average size is 6 inches but 10 inch fantails are not unheard of.
    Everyone says that black moors stay small but i have seen 14" black moors. Goldfish get large period. Those who say they don't, don't let them by providing crappy care and keeping them cramped in tiny tanks.​

9. ladycrotalus

Jun 14, 2009
    Massena, NY
    Quote:Horrible rule that doesn't apply to any fish.
    You can keep more then 10 inch long neons in a 10 gallon because they aren't much of a bio load. You can't keep a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gallon. Goldfish are heavy bodied, dirty fish that get huge. No way would i put goldfish in a 10 gallon, not even a baby goldfish.
    Flakes cause more problems then anything. If they are not soaked for a few minutes before feeding, they can cause swimbladder problems and constipation. Pellets, fresh veggies, aquatic plants, brine shrimp and bloodworms are a better diet then just flakes.

10. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    The only reason I did a full water change was because nothing was helping, I did a half water chance twice, about once every 2 weeks and nothing got rid of the green in the tank. Even with the light off. It got to the point where you couldnt see the fish anymore! They stopped coming to eat all the time so I cleaned the whole thing. We use water from a water jug that you buy for the aquarium, we use well water and it was turning everything brown. I dont like feeding flakes because I read that when they come up to eat they can get airbubbles in their swim bladder. Plus a lot gets wasted. I think I'll keep the light on a bit more now, to give them some light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by