Goldfish sudden death & rain?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicknmania, May 21, 2019.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We just lost our beautiful huge goldfish, we've had him for about 12 years. He was in a 55 gallon tank with another smaller goldfish, a dojo loach, and a suckermouth catfish. No heater, no bubbler, but two large filter pumps. The four of them have been together for years.We do a partial water change about every ten days to two weeks, and add water conditioner. change the filters about every month to six weeks. Feed once a day. We have well water. I know it's high nitrate but there's nothing I can really do about it, it's well water. I just fed them yesterday and he seemed fine; he was eating. I last did a partial water change and cleaned their tank, and changed the filters, May 11. The water was hard, we needed softener salt, but it wasn't discolored or drastically hard. They have had the same gravel in their tank for a long time, but I always vacuum the gravel. I'm just wondering if all the rain we have had might have had something to do with it, maybe there were more nitrates or nitrates or some toxin in the water from all the rain? WE have had a lot, and I heard recently that all the rain this year was affecting hay quality, leaching out nutrients in the hay. But if that were the case, why would it take so long? It's sad, because he was very tame, he would eat out of my hand...and the other fish acted distressed at their buddy lying in there upside down. Just wondering if I should do anything now to try and protect the other fish, or if anyone has any thoughts about this?

Bamabexchicks likes this.
  2. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    If it was a problem with your water quality the other fish would have died first because they are more sensitive, I think it died of old age

3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss :(
    The rain can alter the pH of the water if it doesn't have sufficient buffering capacity. Do you have a water test kit? A full set of water parameters would be helpful. Also, what do you mean when you change the filters? You don't want to change the biological filtration media, as it contains nitrifying bacteria.
    Goldfish have a natural lifespan of 20-30 years, with the oldest recorded one living to be 43 years old.

chicknmania likes this.
  4. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    I know they can depending on what variety it is, but old age is a possibility

5. CarpCharacin

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Average lifespan in an aquarium shouldn't be confused with natural lifespan, as fish typically die sooner in an aquarium due to environmental factors.

chicknmania and chkva like this.
  6. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    So sorry for the loss of you precious fishy friend.

chicknmania and CarpCharacin like this.
  7. Halfpasthen

Halfpasthen Chirping

Jan 29, 2019
    Sorry for your loss. I doubt we could really determine what the cause was...but just for the future. I really wouldn't advise fiddling with the hardness or Ph of your water. Especially with Salt. Stable water conditions are better than ideal conditions.

chicknmania likes this.
  8. CarpCharacin

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    I think it's important to make sure that the water has enough pH buffering capacity, that's why I think it's always a good idea to have a KH test kit.

chicknmania likes this.
  9. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I havent tested the water for a while but i will do that. Thanks I appreciate the input. Re the filters...we do change per the directions. We used to just change one set at a time and then the next time change t he other set. I'll test the water and see..and thanks for the input and sympathies. We do miss him...he was a beautiful fish and a fixture in the tank for so long...he leaves a big hole.

10. CarpCharacin

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    I'm assuming you change just the mechanical and/or chemical filtration media, or do you change the bio media too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: