goldfish

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckking, Nov 6, 2010.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Can i give my two month old mallards and my two month old rouen goldfish (the real fish not the cracker)????

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I am curious as well. I know that people on here sometimes give the minnows and stuff for treats (probably cheaper to go with minnows) but i have wondered if they can pass on diseases?

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I'd be careful with the goldfish. They may choke on them. I went to a bait store and bought minnows that are certified disease free.

I only gave them minnow ONCE IN A WHILE. Not a steady diet.

4. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    I have given the TINY goldfish that you can get at a petstore--the feeder fish. However my ducks were a few months older at that time...

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A wild great blue heron once hung around my backyard for a couple of weeks, gradually eating the grown-up goldfish in my little backyard pond. They were several years old, like 6" - 8" long. Certainly didn't seem to bother him. I have heard since that this is a common occurrence; people put fake herons by their ponds to discourage this. The fish originated at WalMart, tiny inexpensive things, bought to eat mosquito larvae, which they did. Just my experience, of course, doesn't prove anything.

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:be careful cuz sometimes "feeder fish" carry internal parasites

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There's always a danger of the eaten containing some disease or parasite. We know, for example earthworms carry some type of worm that can infest a chicken. But just try telling that to the average chicken who's out after a rain gleefully eating the worms that have surfaced or become easier to find.

I'm sure there's a chance, but never heard of this being a particular problem.

8. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    well I made the mistake of letting my young runners use my goldfish pond a couple of years ago, they ate all my fish!!!!

9. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:Earthworms are intermediate hosts for kidney worms and bladder worms (others as well)...not only can this be bad for your ducks/cats/dogs, but to yourself! This is why it is always good to deworm your pets and keep them on preventative treatment. Some parasites to not respond to anthelmintic treatments.

10. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    So.......... yes or no:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by