Goldie 3-years-old hen bloated and lost soft-shell-egg from vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Josie Joe, May 24, 2019.

1. Josie Joe

Josie Joe In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    About 10 days ago, Goldie had the residue of a soft shell and yolk hanging from her vent. I didn't know what to do. I call the vet (we live in Panama Central America) and he recommended to give her 1/4 pill of sulfatiazol 500g daily for 5 days. Nothing changed. Then searching online, we found good information on your blog. Yesterday, we massaged her vent for about 20 minutes with a warm compress; applied Vaseline on her vent and got very little amount of stuff; put her a suppository for babies and kept her in the bathroom, out of wind, rain and any cold. Today, I gave her a warm bath for 30 minutes; applied Vaseline and suppository again. I gave her electrolytes but she doesn't want to eat or drink. Before the Vaseline application, we notice that she would not eat, drink and not defecate but only having a runny yellow liquid coming out her vent.
    Her belly is big, bloated so much that the skin is very stretched and hard. I don't feel any eggs or hard part by palpation.
    A friend helping me just went to buy just anything we thought could be useful but we don't know what to do. We have: Penstrep 400 penicillin, AV-25 antibiotic and vitamin-D, Peperazina 53% anti-parasite oral, syringe 20ml/cc #18GX1 1/2" (in case we need to extract liquid water-belly ascite), needle for antibiotic injection, Listerine solution (for enema), Epson salt, cod liver oil, we have olive oil and gloves.
    We are ready to try to help this poor baby. Please, could you be so kind in giving us indication of what we should try first. Thank you we are staying posted waiting for answers.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. Josie Joe

Josie Joe In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    This morning she had a 30 minutes bath and Vaseline and suppository. Today we gave Goldie 0.75 ml of cod liver oil. I mixed a little yogurt with a little hard boiled yolk egg and oat. I made little balls and feed her in her mouth. Because she would eat anything. I tried to get her to drink electrolytes but didn't want to drink. She was always in the same corner, not moving. Now, we just gave her some antibiotics and not even one hour later she started to move, scratch her bedding, grooming and she eat chicken feed on her own. She still very bloated and big and don't move easily but lowering the fever did a difference. Wow. But now, how to bet that belly smaller. I saw a video that the guy's chicken got better and assumed that the body reabsorbs the broken egg yolk that are in the hen's body. Wonder if it will work like this with Goldie. She is very big. I am going to give her 13 ml of the liquid antibiotic every hour. I will post the pictures later. Any body knows how I can get her belly go down in size. I saw video of enema with Listerine and other with oil. I am thinking, don't know what to do next beside the antibiotics.

4. Josie Joe

Josie Joe In the Brooder

May 24, 2019
    we just removed one and half cup of liquid with a no.16 needle. Ascites or water-belly is. She is full of liquid. Tomorrow or after tomorrow we will remove some more. I was so scared to do this but I found a few very good videos on YouTube of how to do it. Shallow punctuation, on the right hand side of her body, about one inch bellow the vent. The liquid was clear with very very very light yellow color. One person on a video mention that when it is a clear color it is failure of lung and kidney. Don't know much about it and how to help her to cure beside removing the liquid. If anyone knows, please let me know what would be good for her. Right now she still will have two more days of antibiotics, eat hard-boiled egg yolk with yogurt and oat. I give her half of dropper of cod liver oil daily, a vitamin and food and electrolytes for drink. I have put some grounded eggs shells mixed in her chicken feed which is corn, rice, oat and quinoa. I don't want to give her the regular chicken feed that they sell here because I am afraid it might have some hormones of something to make her making more eggs. I don't want to stress her body. I don't know any thing else to do. She lives comfortably in a bathroom (nobody use this bathroom for now); no stress, dry and warm at night and fresh during the day. What else should I do? Please, feel free to suggest. Thank you.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Congrats on getting some fluid out.

I highly recommend feeding her the complete poultry feed instead of all the treats.

There are not hormones in feed to make them lay more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: