Goldie the brave or the squirrel chasing chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HappyTalons, Nov 16, 2010.

1. HappyTalons

HappyTalons Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    So before I went to work this morning, I looked out into the back yard to observe our 6 pullets prancing around the yard. I notice in our lonely catalpa tree that there appears to be a squirrel mating chase going on.
    The female squirrel was noticeably smaller than the male and so was hiding on the thinnest branches. Finally she had to drop to the ground and right there waiting for her was this little girl.

[​IMG]

Goldie is the lowest chicken on the totem pole but she felt the need to chase the hapless squirrel halfway across the yard. Moments afterward, she spied a blue jay on the other side of the yard and decided to chase it from the yard also.
    Moments after the above shot was taken, she received a peck to the comb from one of our mid ranking girls. No thanks at all!

She's also obsessed with wheat berries and digs through and tosses out the straw in the nest boxes to get at them (she hasn't started laying yet) and likes to jump up and knock over our lawn chairs (I think she's trying to play sentry). She's such a menace! But she's so cuddly . . . if you can catch her. [​IMG]

2. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

3. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    she's a cutie [​IMG]

4. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    She's adorable, and sounds like quite a character!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by