1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Goldiegirl2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldieGirl2, Jul 31, 2014.

1. GoldieGirl2

GoldieGirl2 In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Marion Va
    goldie has not been herself for 3 days now. she is not walking, eating or drinking. i am having to feed her with a baby dropper. i have read the above posts and i am going to try to do the same cause maybe she too is with a lodged egg. I am going tomorrow to get some antibiotics and pedilyte . i will up date when all this is done and hopefully healed.
    I did check for bumblefeet and i see no sign of that. thank goodness.
    any other suggestions?

2. Phillip911

Phillip911 In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Arizona
    How old is your girl?
    Has she ever laid before?
    Is she kept in a run or is she free range?
    Was she feed anything different in the days before she began acting ill?

3. GoldieGirl2

Jul 31, 2014
    Marion Va
    Not sure how old. Yes she had laid. Both, but had been up cause I got 3 new hens and a roster. No different feedings. She just sits won't move cluck or anything she acts like her leg is broke cause when she sits she will lay more to one side

4. Phillip911

Jul 29, 2014
    Arizona
    how long after you added the new ones did she get sick?

5. GoldieGirl2

Jul 31, 2014
    Marion Va
    They've been in a week and she's been sitting not moving for 3 days now

6. GoldieGirl2

Jul 31, 2014
    Marion Va
    I checked her vent out seems to be clear but I'm new at this so I'm not sure. She did do better at feeding time today. She ate on her own from the baby dropper. Then she drank water on her own out of her bowl. Her but is messy but I was gonna soak out and clean it tomorrow

7. Phillip911

Jul 29, 2014
    Arizona
    there is a good chance the new ones had a bug that was not affecting them but made your girl sick because she was not immune. I would get a broad spectrum antibiotic like a tetracycline as soon as possible or you may loose your girl. I recommend one that you can mix with water it will be easier to get your girl to take. Check your local feed store or pet supply store like tractor supply or Cal Ranch. The sooner you start treating the more chance there is for your girl. If she has a bug there is no natural way to cure her if she is already this sick. A lot of us don't like the idea of giving out girls medications but sometimes you don't have a choice. I had something similar happen when I put my turkeys in with my ducks the turkey has a natural bacteria that they are immune to but it made 2 of my 4 ducks very very sick and I almost lost them before I began treating it. All in all if your girl is sick it wont hurt her and will help her immune system. once she is well she will have built up some immunity. Something to think about if she responds well to the medicine then you need to treat the new comers because they brought it with them. After treatment the antibiotic will work out of their bodies completely with in a couple of weeks.

8. GoldieGirl2

Jul 31, 2014
    Marion Va
    My coop is at my mom's so I brought her home with me to get her away from the others but she wad taken out of the pen the day I noticed she wad sick. I wad told a shot form of antibiotics was best. But if better to get the kind for water I will tomorrow and I sure don't want my others sick

9. Phillip911

Jul 29, 2014
    Arizona
    A shot is great and will work even better. shots are not available in my area. With the water based you usually have to treat for 7 days to get the bug good and gone. The shots I am not sure of but I would defiantly treat the others as well as your girl but wait until you see if your girl is responding to the treatment.
    Any time your adding new chickens from somewhere else to your flock consider quarantining them for a little while even birds raised in the same state can make each other sick if there are different bacteria's and microbes in their birth area.
    It is also a good idea to ask if the new flock members to be have had any vaccinations.
    I hope my advice helps your girl make a speedy recovery.

1 person likes this.
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you examine her legs to see if one or the other is paralyzed or has curled toes, and if the toes move? Also check her wings for the same. From your description of symptoms, I'm wondering if she might have either Mareks disease, or possibly is suffering from egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying. What do her poops look like? It would be good to check her for lice and mites. Has she been wormed lately?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: