Goldn Sex Link Genders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dawno33, Oct 1, 2014.

1. dawno33

dawno33 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    I have 2 Golden Sex Links and since I am a newbie at this chicken thing, I am trying to determine gender. The first 3 are of Mayflower.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These next 3 are of Polly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

They are pullets.

ETA: from Ideal hatchery Gold Sex Link page:
    Cock on left, hen on right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The photos aren't working for me for some reason. However, if your birds are mostly brown/gold, with only a little white on certain body areas, then they are definitely pullets. Male Red Sex-links are nearly pure white, with red splotches on their wings.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like pullets to me.

5. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't see the photos either, but I can see the "recently posted images" on the side and they are definitely pullets! :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They are all pullets. Golden Sex Link is one of the labels under which some hatcheries (including Ideal Poultry) market their Red Sex Links. Ideal actually markets their Red Sex Links under several labels depending on which silver gene hen is used in the cross. Red Sex Links can sexed from hatching by color (males are whitish, females are reddish), and that color distinction remains with them throughout their lives. Adult males are whitish, usually developing a few reddish feathers in the saddle area, and adult females (like yours) are reddish with white underfluff and white feathers in the tail. Golden Sex Links, like all Red Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You will get loads of eggs from those two ladies. :eek:)

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - this is the beauty of sex-linked birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by