Golf ball eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickorama, Nov 22, 2008.

1. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    We have been getting these eggs literally the size and shape of a golf ball. They are creamy-brown, almost tan. We were pretty sure they were coming from one of our mystery birds who we think is a golden laced wyandotte, but now she is broody, and we are still getting them!! They are beautiful, and I would love to know what breeds lay that kind of egg!
    Does anybody know?? [​IMG] Maybe we could hatch some if we knew what breed they were... they really are beautiful eggs. Maybe i will post some pics if I ever find out how to!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know much about your other breeds, but some of my brahmas lay almost completely round eggs that are the color of a porcelian doll's face. A very pretty pinkish-tan.
    Also even with winter setting in my girls are producing like crazy. They slowed down for two days when the weather turned colder and now are back to laying like crazy. Brahmas are known for good wintertime laying.
    I'll PM you about adding pics.
    P.S. You might want to wait awhile to try and hatch eggs. I've heard, although I don't know for sure, that chicks from pullet eggs can be smaller and weaker.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Gee, my chickens are laying eggs just like that, too! Totally round, right?

4. chickorama

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah! right, chickiebaby!!! Anyway, we do have brahmas, and if we all have brahmas and are getting the same kind of egg, then it's possible they are laying them.

5. chickorama

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    In case anyone's wondering why chickiebaby and me are raising the same breeds of chickens, we split an order from murray mcmurray hatchery with 2 of each breed. We both like egg laying chickens more than meat or ornamental ones.

6. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I don't know when you got your chicks, but if they got too much light during weeks 10-20 they sometimes will lay lots of small golf-ball shaped eggs. My state poulty guy told me this. It has to do with the light and at what age they got the light. Some breeds are more sensitive to the too much light issue than others. My GLW's had this problem last year and they laid small golf ball sized eggs through out their first laying period.

After the first laying cycle the eggs became much more normal looking, but they ate just fine!

7. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I had an EE that would lay completely round greenish blue eggs. She laid maybe a dozen in this shape and now I don't get them any more. I don't know if her eggs are now regular shaped, or if she has stopped laying.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Brahmas lay golf ball eggs, too. The Lt. Brahma's is a pretty pinky tan and my Buff Brahma's is a porcelain color.

9. chickorama

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That would explain it!! My brahmas had strong heat lamps in their brooder and were put out at a month or two, where they got LOTS of sunlight, since they were free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by