golf ball in nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauriruth, Jan 4, 2010.

1. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

well, we're at 19 weeks and not a single egg! i put a golf ball in the nest. every morning when i check, the golf ball is not only out of the nest, but across the coop and down the ramp. it's either their way of telling me that they have no intention of giving me eggs, or they're playing a couple of holes before dawn! i bought 2 wooden "eggs" yesterday, changed the nest bedding from shaved pine to hay. we'll see what they think of those! [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've had good results with both, the golf balls and the wooden eggs. Just keep putting them back into the nests if they fly out!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Don't your chickens know to yell "FORE"[​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well it's too darned cold for golf, so it must be the other option...lol. I bought the wooden eggs too, one white one and one brown one, just so they'd feel good about whatever comes out. I know I've still got a few weeks to go, but I wish you luck with yours! [​IMG]

5. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I used a plastic Easter egg & it worked great. I did occasionally have to fetch it back into the nest, but it only took a few days and it had company. [​IMG]

6. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine don't seem to care... they layed us 4 eggs in a nest box before we had even gotten around to getting golf balls, and now that the kids have packed off and lost most of them, half the boxes they lay in have no decoys. Then there's the one dumb hen who lays her eggs on the floor. I guess it depends on the chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by