Golf ball questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by threehens, Jan 21, 2009.

1. threehens

threehens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I put a golf ball in the nesting box that our three chickens share, well, are supposed to share. Only one has been laying until yesterday when we got two eggs, one in the box, the other in the run. The golf ball was in the run last week which seemed curious. Today, I saw the one who I think started laying yesterday push the ball out of the nesting box and then bring it back it. Then she sat on it for awhile. All the while, the one who has been laying for about a week or two was making all kinds of racket. What's going on? Was that egg in the run pushed there? Should I take the golf ball out now? Any input is greatly appreciated!!

2. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I put some ping pong balls in mine boxes so the girls would get the idea that it was where i wanted them to lay!!! after they figured it out I removed them. I never had mind move the balls tho maybe your next box needs a lip to prevent them from knocking eggs out!!!

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I would just put the egg laid in the run back in the nest. Mine used to do the same thing. They need to learn that the eggs "stay" in the nest. After a couple times, she did lay in the nest. As far as golf ball are concerned, my hens actually play golf. I put the balls in the nest and next day they are all out in the run. I almost think they know what they are. I put the golf balls in to stop them from breaking the eggs, hasn't worked for me. [​IMG]

4. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    They should share the nest box with no problems. They lay eggs together in a clutch...it is instinctive. They will just keep piling them in. Can you make some sort of ledge on the nest box so the golf balls and/or eggs will not get pushed out? Eventually, they will get the hang of it. Also, the nest box should be in an out-of-the-way location that is semi-private to the hens so they feel like they are "hiding" while they lay. Just be persistent with keeping the golf balls in the nest box and pick up any eggs that are not where they belong as soon as possible.

5. threehens

Aug 12, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I forgot to ask: How long does it take to lay an egg? I mean from when the chicken sits in the box until she's done? Anyone waited it out?

6. threehens

Aug 12, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Thanks for the quick replies! I do have a lip, I nailed a piece of 2x2 in the front of the box but that ball is making it over it and back. I'll make it higher. Do you think the chickens feel unsafe when their eggs disappear from the nesting box, like that's not the best place to lay? That's why I left the golf ball there so maybe they wouldn't notice I took their egg!

7. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

threehens, I watched my BR lay her first egg. I was out in the barn and saw her in the next box. When I put out some treats, she hopped out and partook. But then she kept being interested in getting back in the nest box, so I knew something was up. From the time she hopped back in the nest box and settled down, to her egg, was about an hour. Yes, I waited it out. I had been raising those chickens for almost 6 months, and so I wasn't going to miss my first ever egg!

Since then I have watched the BR and my EE lay eggs, and they don't take as long now. Just like my sister, the second born, was almost born on the interstate highway on the way to the hospital.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by