Golf ball theory for egglaying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mattake2, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Mattake2

Mattake2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Do any of ya'll have golf balls in your nest boxes? I've heard of leaving a couple in each nest box but wouldn't this cut down on egg production in some hens?

2. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    My hens lay wherever the golf ball is at. If it falls on the floor, the hens lay on the floor. If it is in the nest box they lay in the nest box.

Works like a charm. I have not noticed a slow in egg production by using a golf ball.

Darin

3. summerwindsfarm

summerwindsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    Golf balls have worked really good for me. I have had a couple of broody hens try to sit the golf balls..but when a hens broody she will find *something* to sit one way or another lol!

4. Mattake2

Jun 11, 2008
    I've been trying it for about a week, maybe a little longer, & I think it's cutting down on my egg production.

Any more advice pros?

5. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    I can't see how it would cause a drop in production. If they are going to lay, they will do it wether there are eggs in the nests or not. It definitely helps mine remember where to lay. A few times I have taken the golf ball out in an (unsuccessful) attempt to discourage broodiness. Within 2-3 days of removing it I start finding eggs on the henhouse floor. As soon as I put it back, they lay in the nestbox again.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    We had new (to us) hens who hadn't layed an egg in the 3 weeks we had them. I put a golf ball in the nests and now they lay almost every day...right beside the golf ball.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I put a blown out egg, filled with plaster of paris in the nest box each year when the chickens start to lay. I also do it when my chicks start to lay, that way they know to lay in the nest boxes. [​IMG]

8. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I use them. They work very well with most hens. Although I really need to remember to take them out since I have a broody hen who has been trying her best to hatch one for weeks now.

Donna

9. Mattake2

Jun 11, 2008
    I think ya'll have convinced me to put the golf balls back in their nest boxes. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks a heap!

[​IMG]

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I've tried a golfball AND a ceramic egg. Chook's response is like " Somethin's HERE already!!! I better go drop my egg all the way on the other side of the yard. " [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by